Landseer vs. Newfie?

Hey everypup! I know I asked this question before on threads, but I no one knew! I was wondering if they're was a difference temperament wise between a Landseer and a Newfie. Some people say it is a different breed, some say its just a black and white Newf. Ideas?

Asked by Member 762235 on Jun 25th 2009 Tagged landseer, newfoundland in Newfoundland

Answers

Muffin

Check out AKC.org for further details...
Here is SOME info...The origin of the Landseer stems back to Germany and Switzerland. In the USA and Great Brittan the Landseer is considered the same breed as the Newfoundland, however in some European countries the Landseer is a totally different breed than the Newfoundland. Landseers in Europe have longer legs than newfies, Landseers are not so massive, they are more sporty dogs. In shows, they compete separately.

Muffin answered on 6/25/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Toby

Landseers and Newfies are considered seperate breeds, but really it is just a black and white Newfie. The basic temperment is very lovable, protective and they are very sweet. They love the water and will love you endlessly. But, the temperment can also vary with the dog. One Newfie might be more loving, the other more protective. It all depends on the dog.

Toby answered on 7/3/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Fozzie

I recently adopted a black Newfie pup that was whelped among a litter consisting of 7 Landseer females. When I went to pick up my pup, one of the clear differences between the Landseers and the blacks was energy level. The Landseers seemed a bit more excited than the blacks.

The notion of two separate breeds is simply relative to the organization/club. Personally, I find it difficult to to consider two separate breeds born from the same mother, but that's just me.

Fozzie answered on 3/28/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Roxie

Some places consider Landseers and Newfoundlands separate breeds, but in reality Landseers are just black and white Newfoundlands. Not a separate breed at all, in my opinion.

Roxie answered on 4/6/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer