I've considered getting pet insurance. What has been your experience and will most vets accept it or not.

Our dog will require some extensive medical tests and meds in the future but her condition is treatable but the costs will be more than I can afford. What should I look for in coverage and reliabilty from the companies? Also would the insurance cover any pre-existing conditions? Have you found some insurance companies easier to deal with than others when filing a claim?

Asked by Member 657915 on Sep 28th 2008 Tagged seniorpet in Pet Insurance

Answers

First of all, pet insurance is not a matter of "will a vet accept it" as they are all indemnity plans; you pay up front and your insurance plan reimburses you as eligibility allows. Therefore, you can go to any vet you choose, but your plan will only cover a certain dollar amount for any particular service.

You need to research all the different pet insurance companies for yourself to find the one that's right for you, based on deductible amounts, what is/is not covered, premium costs, etc. I'd suggest you check out www.petinsurancereview.com

Best wishes,

Cindy

Okay, i'm a pet insurance hater ever since my mastiff died of cancer. Your pet insurance will only go so far and will not cover many things. What I do is I have $50 taken off every check and put into an emergency pet fund. Then you know you will always be covered. Best wishes.

Cindy answered on 9/28/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer