*Tommy*

Ive been researching breeds for my next companion. But im stuck on which breeds I want to go with

Since I adopted Tommy I want to adopt another dog but am having a hard time finding the right one I really like. I want a dog that takes less time to groom but can be an outside dog in the winter time as well but requires me to get off the couch and spend time to walk it. I would like a female but would take a male as well. I have been looking for breeders near me and found some close to me for Labradors and border collies but I took the quiz to see what breed is right for me and came up with golden retrievers. Shasta was a golden retriever mix so Im not to sure I want another golden I have Tommy still but he has cancer and its just now spreading. I cant imagine my life without owning a dog or cat to call my own. I have always wanted an Irish wolfhound, lab, St. Bernard, newfoundland, or a Great Pyrenees. Can someone help me? I don't want to spend to much on a dog. I have also been looking into fostering a dog until the right one comes along to adopt or purchase from a breeder.

Asked by *Tommy* on Sep 5th 2013 in Other Puppies

Answers

Buddy

Sorry about Tommy. From my research, dogs that would be most appropriate for your lifestyle and experience as a dog owner would be to try an Australian Cattle Dog or Bearded Collie. They have the traits you're looking for, plus similarities to Tommy's breeds, which would make training and such easier. Hope this helps!

Buddy answered on 9/5/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Tyler

Well, seen as you don't want to spend to much on a dog your best bet is looking into rescue. I'd phone a local rescue up ( possibly a few local ones ) and explain what you're looking for. A good rescue will be able to match you up with the right dog, and even more accurately if they use foster homes which have more extensive and detailed knowledge of the dogs in their care.

Tyler answered on 9/6/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Go to a shelter and interact with different dogs there, there's many retriever type breeds in the shelter.

I agree, you can get a dog that is already trained, sweet and just what you are looking for from a rescue group or local animal control. Check online at petfinder.com. Best Friends animal shelter in Utah will ship if you find a dog on their site. ^_^

I don't think you should get any dog right now. Have you fixed the fence? Will this be an inside dog? Your oters were always left outside.
You get a dog to fit your lifestyle, not the other way around. A dog who needs exercise is not going to "get you off the couch."
You are not strong enough for a Pyr or any LGD. Saints have been ruined..you MUST buy from a responsible breeder.
Concentrate on making Tommy's last days the best he's had.
What happened to that last dog you got? The bitch that you allowed to get pregnant? After asking for breeding adcice..which you ignored!!

Wiley is right, what about the babies from poor Blaze????