Itchy Doggie

Here goes...We have a little dog that has some severe itchiness. We've taken him to numerous vets and changed dog food countless times but he still itches. The poor little guy scratches and chews until he bleeds. We've tried some anti-itch sprays as well as allergy medicine and steroid shots. Also, THIS IS NOT FLEAS...
Any ideas on a spray that might hold the itching at bay or good dog food suggestions (we just changed to diamond wheat free this week) or any info about similar experiences? Thanks!!!!

Asked by Member 1130649 on Sep 13th 2012 in Skin Problems

Answers

You can try Sulfadene shampoo and the sufadene yellow liquid. You can get them at Wal-mart and they are very inexpensive. I used it on a Golden I used to have and it did wonders for him. You can start by giving him a bath once every 1 or 2 weeks. After the itching is under control, you can go to a bath once a month to keep the itching under control. I hope it works for you. My neighbors Westy gets seasonal itching. We figured out it's the pollen he's allergic to from the nearby field. She gives him benedryl for part of the year. Good Luck!

Pamela       -    Adopted!!!!

How long has this been going on?
Is he losing fur? Any relief with antihistamines?
Any relief with steroids, or did it seem to get worse afterwards?
Is he more itchy in the morning and evening?

Has the Vet suggested treating him for Sarcoptic mange?

In my area the best canine allergists are at Tufts. They won't see a dog for allergies until it has been treated for mange.
www.ehow.com

Pamela - Adopted!!!! answered on 9/13/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Petri

Have you tried PETfection Deodorizer/Allergy Spray?It is 100% Organic, Non Toxic, and is amazing at helping with itchy spots/dry skin/bumps/etc. I use it for everything! You can spray it all over his body and any area that is red or irritated from scratching or is dry and flaky. I find it to work really well! I hope this helps.

Petri answered on 9/20/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer