Zackintosh CJ

Itchy dog and shedding, help!

My dog has been shedding a lot, I know its close to summer and he will be shedding more, but is there anything I can do other than brush him every day to cut down on the shed hair? He sheds so much there is loose hairs all over him.
Also, he's been itching a lot lately, he doesn't have fleas, he has a little bit of flaky skin at the base of his tail that is extra itchy. What could be causing that and is there anything natural/holistic that I could do for him?
I feed him good food, alternating between Merrick, Blue and TOTW.
Thanks!

Asked by Zackintosh CJ on Apr 21st 2009 Tagged shedding, itchy, skin, hair, flaky, food, help in Shedding

Answers

Sunny

You can by shampoo that will help him to slow down shedding... but right after his bath he will shed a lot so brush him really good. um.... that all I can think of right now besides getting a rake and brushing him daily.

HOPE THIS HELPED!!!

Sunny answered on 4/21/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Yes, you are feeding some very good foods ! Good job on your choices:

I would add two things to his program:
Salmon oil / PURE Alaska salmon oil can be found at MOST pets stores - or order on the internet.
Give 2 tablespoons per day /mixed into his food.

Next - Here is a great Itchies kit / it has tea tree oil shampoo, hot spots spray and NuVET allergy wafers:
All Natural and safe: see here:

Bulldogs and More : anti-itch shampoo

en.allexperts.com

Oh, and get an Undercoat rake for the back end - I am sure there is a bunch of dead undercoat....

try the bamboo shedder or the fur buster the help him quit shedding so much.you can use lemongrass oil or lavender oil and it will make your dogs itch go away!!!!!!!!!!

I feed a decent chow and as little else as possible, seldom if ever bathe the dog, and brush it daily with a soft bristled brush. You might add a teaspoon a day of liquid cooking oil to its food.

In heavier shedding periods, I switch to a wire slicker brush.

If he is still itching too much, talk to the vet.

Maverick

Hey Zackintosh CJ, I used to have really dry skin and clog up the bathtub everytime I got a bath because I was shedding so bad.  Mom switched me to a food with 3.5% linoleic acid (fancy word for omega 6)  It takes about 8 weeks to get all of the old food out and the new food into your system, so Mom asked the Vet and she reccomended for Mom to add a tablespoon of Sunflower or Safflower Oil to my food while she was switching the food and during really bad shedding season!  I really like this!  It tastes so yummy!  3.5% linoleic acid is where it is scientifically proven to guarentee improved skin & coat!Hope you get the itching under control! :) 

Maverick answered on 4/21/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer