Italian Greyhounds?

I recently have been contacting a breeder with Italian Greyhounds, I decided to get a boy and girl to breed them, I have a few questions- how old do you have to be tos how in NJ? Tips for delivering puppies? BEST food? ITALIAN GREYHOUND ADVICE NEEDED!

Asked by Member 769709 on Jul 26th 2010 Tagged italiangreyhounds in Italian Greyhound

Answers

Does your breeder know you plan on breeding these pups? I advise you get a mentor and do tons of research before you jump into this incredibly expensive venture. There is way too much you need to know than can be given here.

The overwhelming majority of Dogsters will ask you to leave breeding to professionals. You have to wait until they are 2 years old, then run about $3,000 worth of genetic testing to determine if they have any hereditary diseases.

Any 2 dogs from the same breeder may be closely related and should not be bred.

How old do you have to be?
Old enough to pay all the bills and know more than you do about dog overpopulation, back-yard-breeders, Puppy mills, spay and neuter.
Keep reading. Education is a good thing.

Understand, I men no offense here--but any breeder worth the while wouldn't sell to just anyone who wants to breed two dogs. Good breeders know the importance of responsible breeding and that most people don't know enough about it to do it responsibly.
Not to say you couldn't learn. =) I'm learning mysefl. I've been studying the subject off and on for several years now. =) But you'll need a good and experienced mentor, not just booklearning.

My website is an *introduction* to the world of responsible dog breeding and includes information on what to look for in a breeder:
cookiemiller.tripod.com
~Tiffany, breeder-in-training

I don't mean to be rude either, but I do mean to be honest and forthright. Leave the breeding to professionals. Far too many people already think they ARE experienced breeders when they are not. Breeding takes years of research and mentoring. It's not something you can just pick up two dogs and start up. Breeding involves LIFE AND DEATH situations. It's not something to take lightly and you need to learn a lot more than what you can pick up on Answers here.

If the breeder is reputable, they would be horrified to learn about this.

Bottom line: If you don't even know what food is best to feed the dogs, you have absolutely no business getting involved in life and death issues with these dogs.