Duchess 7/21/03-1/14/12 Love U

Is walking your dog by a public school considered trespassing?

Wondering if anyone can help? I have a public elementary school right across the street from me. I was walking my dog outside the fence of the perimeter of the school as school is currently in session. I always pick up after my dog. Well, a busdriver for the school comes up and starts screaming at me saying that I'm trespassing. I said I clean up after my dog (she didn't even poop right then either, only peed), she's on a leash and I'm not on the school field. He said that it's irrelevent whether or not I clean up after her. He said there are signs all around saying otherwise. The only sign on my block says to clean up after your dog or you'll be fined which contradicts what he said about trespassing and not walking my dog in that area. I never had a problem before. All the other busdrivers stop and pet her when they see us and never said I was trespassing or couldn't walk her there. There are plenty of people who do walk their dog's or let them run off leash even on the school field when school is in session. One of my coworker's said that if it's a public school, I'm not trespassing. Am I wrong or is he just a miserable person who hates dogs?

Asked by Duchess 7/21/03-1/14/12 Love U on May 19th 2010 Tagged dogs, publicschool, trespassing in Other Laws & Legislation

Answers

Nibbles

I'd call the school board and ask them what the rules are. Seems funny that he is the first person to mention it.

Nibbles answered on 5/19/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Public school, means town property, not private. Can't tresspass on public property...dopey of him to say so. However please check into the town's rules on dogs on town property. They may have a "no dogs on school grounds" rule.
Most towns have laws etc. online, give it a look-see. Hope you're proven right, I can't stand dog-hater!

Zack

Check with the superintendent, the school board, a town official, or maybe even the police - they should know what the law says where you live. If they have a rule that says dogs cannot be near the school during the school day, you might have to find another place to walk.

Around here, the school does not get to dictate who can and cannot use the public sidewalks in front of the buildings, aside from the city and state laws already in place - no smoking, no drugs, no weapons, etc. within so many feet of the school. And people who have been convicted of certain crimes are not allowed within so many feet of the building.

I walk my dog past the local high school every day - I often see police officers drive by, and one lives across the street from the school - and I have never been stopped or told that was illegal. My neighbor, a city commissioner, has also seen me do this and has never said anything.

Zack answered on 5/19/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I work for a school district here in Canada. The school building & grounds are considered property of the school district, & dogs are not allowed on the grounds at any time (even summer). However, in summer no one enforces it until about 2 weeks before school starts again. Outside the fence is public property...that swath of about a meter to the sidewalk. So if you were outside the fence you were not trespassing. We have no dogs allowed signs posted on every access to school grounds, so no sign for you =no problem! I had one principal tell me i could not park in the staff lot because i had my dogs in my Jeep, so I parked in the shade of a tree on the street even closer to the school entrance. BOL GRRR...dog haters!

Ty

I would think if you are on the sidewalk outside of the school grounds, that can not be considered tresspassing. Also i agree with the person that said the school is public property and the bus driver should shut his mouth. I agree with call the principal and tell him what the driver said and ask what he has to say.

Ty answered on 5/19/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Desmond CGC

What? No way, he was probably just having a bad day. You're outside the fence, you're picking up after her, she's on leash, you're fine. People walk their dogs on the track by both my high school and old middle school. I think people who have their dogs off leash are (or should be) asked to leave or leash their pets when the students are out (just to be safe, some kids may be afraid, etc), but leashed, well mannered dogs on a track, especially OUTSIDE the fence are fine.

He was just being snippy, don't worry about it. You may want to call the principal and ask him/her, as they are the ones who really determine whether or not that is enforced properly on their school grounds. Chances are, you're totally fine so long as you're sensible about it, which you definitely seem to be.

Desmond CGC answered on 5/19/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

marley

what?!! who does this guy think he is?! like you said you were 'outside the fence of the perimeter of the school', so where's the problem?! take his comments with a pinch of salt and tell him to GET A LIFE! he has no right to start yelling at you. Like the other posters said,ring the school and find out the rules,or whoever u have to ring,then you can prove him wrong and tell him he can stick he's nasty rude attitude where the sun don't shine!

marley answered on 5/20/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Spike

Sounds like that bus driver just wants to pick a fight. My mother was a teacher at a public school for many years, and I know the law. If you weren't on school property, and there are nosigns saying otherwise, then you have no problem. Continue walking your dog there as long as it's right as listed above, and if it happen again, then get the driver's name, and bus number, then go to the principal, and tell him everything that happens those two times, and if he refuses to do anything then go to the school board and tell them about the bus driver, and the principal refusing to do anything, and then if that does nothing, then go to the local athorities. All they can do at 1st is give you a warning, do't be afraid to do all of this because, it's their jobs.

Spike answered on 6/3/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sadie KCGCDS(G)

I would say he is a miserable person who hates dogs!

Sadie KCGCDS(G) answered on 8/16/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Patches

Saying to the bus driver that " I clean up after my dog" right after after he says your trespassing doesn't make sense to me somethings missing here. My advise to you would be walk your dog somewhere else during school hours. I know that's not what you want to hear but if you do that your problem is solved. Why go looking for trouble?

Patches answered on 4/20/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer