Sunny

Is vanilla ice cream ok for dogs?

I have seen dogs have vanilla ice cream and I want to know is it ok for them?

Asked by Sunny on Oct 30th 2009 in Other Food & Nutrition

Answers

Rusty

Most dogs are lactose intolerant, so ice cream can cause the runny poops. There are special frozen treats called Frosty Paws that are better for dogs - you can buy them or find recipes for them online. Of course, if your dog is going to have ice cream, it should be vanilla since chocolate can be harmful to dogs.

Rusty answered on 10/30/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Not really.

As the doggie above me said, most dogs don't tolerate milk products very well.

But also, fatty foods can cause a number of problems more serious than diarrhea and upset tummy. Fatty human food can cause a case of pancreatitis, which is basically a very serious inflammation of the pancreas.

It often has no early symptoms and serious cases can cause extreme pain as well as permanent damage and death. It can happen to any type of dog, any breed and any age and it's an avoidable tragedy, believe me.

It's really, really important to try and avoid feeding dogs anything too fatty, so I have to say now, it's not ok for them. :-)

Please, not much at all. I agree on the lactose and fat. Jack made a very good point about the lack of symptoms of pancreatitis. In addition, it has sugar. None of those are good for dogs. I often defend common brands brands of dog food. Unfortunately, some of them already have some sugar in them and even the highest rated brands often are higher in fat than is best for dogs. So adding Ice cream of any flavor to your dog's diet isn't good. Nearly anything you add to your dog's kibble upsets the careful balance and may do more harm than good. it is so tempting to love your dog to an early death.

I give my dogs vanilla ice cream from DQ on their birthdays, just as an extra special treat. It's only once a year for each of them.

we get our girls a small vanilla cone many times throughout the summer, no lactose intolerence, no runny "poops" no ill effects at all. I guess it depends on how your babies grew up, maybe with a varied diet from the beginning they tolerate more foods.
I DO know that my GSPs usually live to be 15+ years old, about three years longer than average...so evidently I must NOT be hurting them by allowing them to enjoy some ice cream.
there isn't anything I eat that my girls can't have a bit of, sometimes just a tiny bit, but they can try it all.
Funny, I always gave my girls food from the table(in addition to their dogfood) just a bit of whatever we had...I find it really funny now that so much dogfood is made from the same food we eat with some vitamins/ minerals thrown in.
I say if you want to give your dog ice cream start with just a bit and she how he/she tolerates it. If there are no ill effects, well a dogs life is short, I like to let mine enjoy their goodies.

Chocolate

No vanilla ice cream! One thing that's fine would be natures variety sweet spots, orca mixture of organic peanut butter and low fat yogurt,frozen in ice trays

Chocolate answered on 10/30/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Trooper

Why don't you try giving just a little and see what happens? I have had my dogs eat it with no problems. But since others say no, offer it gradually so in case it doesn't work out you don't have a big mess on your hands and they don't have a stomach ache.

Trooper answered on 10/31/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Isy

ice cream isn't good for anyone, people or dogs!!! everything in moderation! Just as it's fine for healthy people to enjoy the occasional treat, it fine for dogs to get a little something extra too. I am assuming you don't mean to add 2 scoops of Ice cream to ur dog's kibble every night! I'm sure you're talking about an occasional special treat. There's nothng wrong with that. Your dog is not going to get a disease from a couple of scoops of ice cream a year! stick to vanilla tho please. BTW people are lactose intolerant too and I don't see too many ice cream companies going outa business!!! Im all for healthy diets, but come on guys, lets stay realistic and not get carried away! Life is short, especially for us giant breeds!! Enjoy it!!!

Isy answered on 10/31/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I say too much sugar for the teeth.
yes, frosty paws are the way to go.
my friend buys them all the time, her dogs love them.