Mishka

Is there such thing as a breed specific crate?

Mishka has broken out of her 2nd crate and i was told by someone that there's a breed specific crate for dogs who are escape artists. Has anybody heard of one? Also Mishka hasn't gained a whole lot of weight since we've had her. We've had her since march and right now sh'e about 45lbs. Isn't that light for a husky. I can see the tips of her hips and was wondering if anyone had tips on how to make her gain a little bit more weight. She gets fed earthborn holistics 1c twice a day

Asked by Mishka on Jun 22nd 2011 in Behavior & Training

Answers

sheba

As far as the whole weight thing goes , I would take her to your vet and maybe something is going on with that, I know they have presciption dog food to help, or maybe run a few lab's. And with the crate, I have an Extra large one for my mastiff that I prurchased from feeders supply and it has two latches and there is no way she can get out of it. but I have not heard of a specific crate , Ill try and find out for you.

sheba answered on 6/22/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

*Tommy*

Yes 45 pounds is way to low for a huskey my friend has a siberian huskey and an alaskan malamute and together they weigh about 200 pounds not sure exactly but your dog needs to eat more and she should weigh around 100 to 150 pounds is my guess the vet will tell you how much she needs to gain and will give you a specific brand of food that will help her gain that weight ive never heard of a breed specific crate but im sure that the crates were tested on specific breeds like the bulley breeds im sure you can find a heavy dutty one for your dog good luck

*Tommy* answered on 6/22/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Tucker Max Small Paws

I think she needs more food. I would increase it but ask the vet. Has she had a checkup lately and been tested for parasites?
And yes, huskies are escape artists. They run away a lot. So make sure to have a good collar and tags on her. As to a specific crate, I would get one with a pressure lock on it (not a sliding lock). You might want to put a little padlock on your existing crate.

Tucker Max Small Paws answered on 6/22/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I need a bit more info:
How is she getting out? Unlatching door? Popping the crate at the edges? Digging the pan out, flipping the crate and getting out the bottom? Or No flippin' idea?!
My first dog, Truffle, could slide the 'lift and slide' latches with her flews and tongue from inside her crate at 5 months old. A dog leash clip stopped that.
And my 2nd, Woofie, popped the crate at the seams and wiggled out. A few of these:
www.baronsnaps.com
solved that problem.
If nothing short of fort knox will keep her in, try this site:
www.carrymydog.com

Weight: Her pelvic bones shouldn't show, her normal healthy weight may be about 50-55 pounds. Can't tell without her height at the whithers (highest point of the neck, behind head).
Add a 1/4 cup to each meal. Check her weight in 2 weeks to be sure it's not making her fat, or to see if you need to add more.

Wow, Tommy, that would be some HUGE siberian husky if it weighed 150 lbs, like three times the size of a normal husky that weighs between 35 and 60 lbs according to the Siberian Husky breed standard. I'd like to see that dog!!!
However, Toto gets 1 cup of Earthborn Holistic twice a day so I would suspect she would need a bit more than he does, he weighs only 18 lbs and is too thin.
As for getting out of a crate... I would suggest an airline kennel and I would also purchase the additional brace which is offered at most pet supply places, and is made to re-inforce the door of these crates. We have had some pretty good escape artists in our kennel and no one has gotten out of one of these crates when they were fitted with the additional door brace.
Good luck!!

If you can see Mishka's hips, she's probably too small. I'd call the vet. She may have a parasite that's keeping her from gaining weight, or she may just need more calories. Libby is 3, full-grown, and weighs about 52 lbs. Most huskies max out at about 55 lbs.

Libby is ALSO a Houdini dog, which may be a breed thing. I tried crating her and she just wouldn't have it. She shredded her bedding in under 5 min and the $135 wire crate was completely trashed from her miraculous getaways after about 2 days. At first, she got separation anxiety and went through windows trying to get to me. She's house trained and not destructive, so I just don't crate her and she's fine.

There are some pretty intense crates out there, like the ones below. There's also one I can't find that uses REBAR. They're not cheap, but neither are vet bills.

www.bootzstore.com

www.rayallen.com

Best of luck!

Ginger-  M.I.A.

45 lbs is a very normal weight for a female Siberian Husky. Being able to see the points of her hips might not indicate she's underweight- Ginger was very slim, I could easily feel her ribs and hips even at her heaviest, and she was an Alaskan Husky bred to run.

Not sure about the crate thing, but my dad built a crate for his dog out of heavyweight plywood, hasn't busted it yet. Not sure if anyone is selling something like that though.

Ginger- M.I.A. answered on 6/22/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

As for crate problem I don't know what to say but as for the weight gain I can help there! =D
Tasha my German Shepherd was having a hard time gaining and keeping weight. She was worm free and the vet just said to increase her dog food intake. I did and just didn't notice any changes. So I found this recipe. Its healthy and within two weeks I noticed a healthy weight gain in her. Heres the recipe for Fat balls...or aka Satin Balls
lb (.45kg) hamburger mince (high fat content)
1 package cream cheese
1 jar all natural peanut butter
1 dozen egg yolks
1 cup rolled oats soaked in milk
1 jar wheat germ

Mix thoroughly (with hands is best).
Freeze into meal sized bags and thaw as needed.