Is there such a thing as Dog Prozac?

Can prozac help with dog aggression? We have a 2 year old French Bulldog, Louie. He is wonderful and well behaved most of the time.We used a trainer. Louie, does not like my husband, and growls and lunges at him. The trainer worked with my husband and the dog, and the situation improved. But, it's still a problem ( I should mention only when I am home). When I am sitting he guards me even if he's in another room. The trainer finally set us up with the shock collar. Again, it helps, but, it's still not a solution. Louie also growls at some people and loves others. He doesn't like my kids friends, but he loves the roofer. Since I don't trust him, I have to put him upstairs when people come over. We have tried everything, even the thunder shirt and different behavior exercises. I even consulted a second trainer who did everything the first trainer did! Oddly, he loves my Vet, a male, and he plays with other dogs at the Vets play group twice a week, so he is socialized. Help!

Asked by Member 1033910 on Jan 6th 2013 in Behavior & Training

Answers

... You need to find a trainer/behaviorist who uses positive methods.. They should be teaching Louie to associate treats and toys and general wonderful things with these people. The shock collar teaches that he will be zapped randomly when these people are around, making the aggression worse. He is socialized with dogs yes, but is he socialized with people like kids and men? Associating wonderful things with people he normally doesn't like is a better approach (in my mind anyway). Right now anytime you have people come over he gets shut away in a room away from his people... Anyway, I suggest you get a positive behaviorist trainer person and get crackin!

(Oh and yes there is such a thing as doggie prozac but Behavior modification would be better.)

Best of Luck!

I would strongly suggest you find a veterinary behaviorist for a consult. Any trainer who would use a shock collar for an issue like this is certainly NOT up to date with current behavioral training and, as you have found, it is NOT a solution, just as drugging the dog is not a solution.
A good veterinary behaviorist will come to your home and observe your family and guests and the dogs reactions, as well as your reactions and come up with a plan to work out issues that are occurring. The fact that Louie is fine at the vets is even more reason to believe he is getting the wrong message(s) in your home, causing these issues.
Please consult with a certified, veterinary behaviorist, not just a trainer. Any person can hang a shingle and call themselves a trainor...using a shock collar is not something any good behaviorist would ever suggest!

Yes, there is and only the vet who truly knows your dog can offer it as a partial solution. Dogs can't tell you WHY they don't like another person but their instinct is to protect you - you had him before you met your husband? He senses your uneasiness & fear and reacts w/aggression. As long as your kids are safe w/him, don't force him onto other kids, I'd remove him or keep him w/you when strangers are there - he sees it as his job- Bulldogs tend to be a 1owner dog and you're it, so just accept that characteristic. No more shock treatments.