Jazzy

Is there really a difference between King Shepherds and German Shepherd Dog?

My boyfriend is interested in GSD's for his security job. I came across a King Shepherd and to me they look like a longhaired version of the GSD. And I know GSD's come in a short hair and a long hair version. So is a King shepherd a breed all by itself or are they really just a long hair GSD?

Asked by Jazzy on Dec 21st 2010 in German Shepherd

Answers

Not exactly...

King Shepherds split off from Shiloh Shepherds. Shiloh Shepherds are based on the GSD, but had Malamute and Great Pyrenees (maybe also some other breeds?) added to 1. Straighten out the over-angulated back and hips, 2. Fuller coat and bigger size 3. Even out temperament. Still, they are mostly GSD physically and mentally. They are best suited as pets, not for protection work or dog sports.

I don't know which would suit you better. But if you like the King, I'd go with a Shiloh, since they have a bigger gene pool right now. If you like pure GSDs but want the long coat, go to a breeder who specializes in long coats. Here is my favorite one lately:
www.patchworkshepherds.com
They specialize in plush and longhair GSDs, have a nice variety of bloodlines, (some working, some show) and they thoroughly test their breeding stock for health and good temperament.

correct, Kings- are mixes. They are mixed with other breeds to be very large and heavy coated most of the time. I do not recommend this type of mix at all.
GSD's come in stock hair and long hair. It's just a coat variation. They come in various colors as well. Such as dark sable, sable, black, red and black, brown and black, silver and black, (white)
ect.
If they say "king" it is mixed.
They use this type of speech for a "selling tactic" no one should ever use that. You look to the OFA scores, health certificates on elbows and overall health, showing, competition titles ect... Inspect whatever parents are available, sometimes the stud is elsewhere which if fine, but you should know everything about him too. Do your research. GSD's are not for everyone. I know I have had several, and you should know how to train them as well.