Is there anything to be worried about with adopting a dog who recently had a bladder stone removed?

The bladder stone was surgically removed. She is a young 2-3 year old mix.

Asked by Member 1143927 on Dec 6th 2012 in The Adoption Process

Answers

I would ask your vet. They could give you the pros and cons. Good luck!

Tiara

I would not think so, but a vet would be the best one to ask just to be sure you do not have to have a special diet of anything.

Tiara answered on 12/6/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

The problem with stones anywhere is that sometimes they can return. Sometimes they never do. I'd ask for the medical records and call my vet. But if you love this dog, that kind of stuff is worth it provided the dog has a good quality of life.

My stray dog had heart worm and all kinds of parasites when I got her. The treatment was into the thousands of dollars by the time it was over. But it turned out to be the best investment I've ever made, because she is the best friend I've ever had.

Patch

My shih tzu had bladder stones removed after they couldn't be dissolved with diet. He has to be on a special canned diet for the rest of his life to try to prevent their recurrence, although most experts say they will probably recur within three years. Sufficient fluids are key and keeping the specific gravity of urine below 1.026 is important. You can check that with a refractometer ($40). It's important to know what kind of stones they were - struvite or oxalate. That will help you know how to prevent them.

Patch answered on 12/7/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

review this