Mexico

Is there any special kind of bone that is good to clean my dog's teeth?

My dogs are 2 and 3 and I want to keep their teeth sparkly and clean, but don't know if I am into the teeth cleaning (I had a friend do that to her dog and it didn't wake up form being put to sleep). I was wondering if their are any kind of bones that help...or any other advice.

Thanks alot!

Asked by Mexico on Oct 29th 2009 in Health & Wellness

Best Answer

How about cleaning their teeth daily with a brush and special doggie toothpaste? (Human toothpaste is toxic to dogs.)

Or, if you prefer, wrap your forefinger in a damp washcloth and use that in a gentle, circular motion on the outside of the teeth only (that's enough to keep them clean.)

Honestly, that's the best way to keep the pearly whites healthy and avoid the anesthesia as long as possible.

Healthy teeth and gums are extremely important to dogs as well as people. There have been solid links between heart disease and even diabetes in dogs who have a lot of plaque on their teeth. That is because the plaque is swallowed and the body has to absorb it into the bloodstream and possibly fight it if it's infected.

Definitely a good idea to just brush the teeth. Once a day is fine and adding it to the daily routine works out great for both you and the doggies.

Jack answered on Oct 30th.

Answers

I don't recommend bones at all. One possible solution would be Science diet T/D. The large pieces force the dog to chew scraping off the tartar.

Any cooked bones are a no-no--they can splinter and hurt your dog.
Raw bones, especially raw chicken bones since they are the softest and easiest-to-chew that you can feed, will clean teeth. However, never let your dog eat any bones from large animals such as cows. We rawbies refer to these large bones as "wreck bones"--your dog can and sometimes will chip a tooth eating one of these. It can depend on what kind of chewer he is, but it's best to avoid them.

Since Aster has brought it up before--I have never heard nor experienced raw bones wearing down the teeth. I have heard of tennis balls doing this, and recently started believing it when I saw that my neighbor's GSD--who plays with tennis balls frequently--had flat tops on his canine teeth rather than the pointy ones normal for a dog. Here's a page illustrating this, though on a different dog:
manteega.com
I've been a raw feeder for about a year now. Pictures do not indicate any wear-down in Treader's teeth since we started raw. Nor have I heard any other rawbies, many of these rawbies long-time rawbies, mention any experience to do with teeth wearing down from their dog gnawing on raw bones.
Furthermore, as for dogs choking on bones--yes, this is possible. It's one reason why supervision is a must. I've heard of dogs dying from choking on kibble too, because the peices are so small. That's why it's not ideal to feed tiny bones. Feed larger ones. Bones from a rabbit are fine, too, though I have yet to feed any of that myself. My dogs mostly get chicken and turkey bones.

Also, the bone should ideally be meaty so that the meat acts as a shield of sorts. Some good RMBs (raw meaty bones) are turkey necks, chicken quarters, and pork necks.

The collage in this below link includes pictures illustrating the difference in Treader's teeth since we started raw:
fc02.deviantart.com

there are now treats that are made to help with keeping teeth clean. otherwise talk to a vet to get their suggestions. Otherwise the other post is right, cooked bones are a definate no-no. they can splinter and kill the dogs. The pet store may have an item called "Greenies" which are supposed to be good to keep the teeth clean.

Chocolate

For me. no bone totally did the trick. I used RMBS. they helped but didn't eliminate the problem. One thing I've used that has worked great is pet kiss liquid oral care. Which I've been adding to water for a month now and I've seen results.

Chocolate answered on 10/29/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Mikey

When I adopted Mikey there was a slim brown line of build up on his teeth right at his gum line. I bought a Nylabone and within a week of once a day chewing on it, he had sparkling white teeth.
I also use toys that have nubs on them. I think he likes the feel of the nubs on his gums because he will really get to trying to chew on it with his back teeth and I can see the nubs rubbing against his teeth.

Mikey answered on 10/29/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

anesthesia teeth cleaning: I sure do understand your concern about the Ultra sonic teeth cleaning offered at the Vet.
WE love nylabones- see here for more help:
en.allexperts.com

Fritz

Hi, no cooked bones and no weight bearing bones such as big leg bones. Be careful of what you find at the pet store. Last week I read a notice about a "hamboneā€, a pet store treat causing the death of a beloved Husky. He had swallowed the bone or a large piece and died while being operated on for an obstruction.
If you feed raw, something like a chicken leg and thigh would work for a big dog like Mexico, maybe even a half chicken.

Going to a higher quality kibble isn't a bad idea, but Science diet isn't high quality only expensive, it is full of corn and not worth the cost. Look for a kibble that has no corn, animal digest or by products with a named meat and/or named meat meal in the first 5 ingredients.

Fritz answered on 10/30/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I use a combination of brushing my dogs teeth and Greenies. It has really helped to clean the teeth of my older dogs that no longer show keep them white.