Is there any recall on Pedigree canned dog food now?

I have fed my dog Pedigree canned beef dogfood for at least 2 years now without any issues. Within the last week ,2 days he vomited within 1hr of eating. I have now stopped using the food and no more vomiting. Worried if there is possibly an issue with the food.

Asked by Member 781478 on Dec 19th 2008 Tagged pedigree, canned, dogfood, recall, vomiting in Pet Food Recalls

Answers

Sparky

Yes, Pedigree is a very bad food. I used to have it and I fed it to my dogs for years until I found out it was crud before anything bad happened. I feed my puppy Canidae, and the other dogs, TimberWolf.

I know these are SOME of the foods you should NEVER get:

*Beneful
*Pedigree
*Science Diet
*Purina
*Euakanuba

Those are the only ones my human can think of. The commercial foods are bad. I understand this is really hard, because they make it look so good with their advertisements and all. But, don't let that fool you. Inside of that food, it is all nasty.

Good luck!!! :)

Sparky answered on 12/19/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Cooper

There was never a recall on Pedigree and my 12 year old fox terrier had been eating it until last spring when I switched him to Wellness and certain types of Purina One. The best thing to do though is consult your vet.

Cooper answered on 12/19/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I know Pedigree did have a recall on some of their dry pet food because it may have been contaminated with salmonella but I don't know about canned. Read this and it may give you more information.

www.fda.gov

You should know Pedigree is a very low quality dog food, it is rated a 1 out of 6, the lowest score possible. Check this link out and you should switch her to something with a higher rating. High end dogfoods have no fillers, corn, meat by-products or meat meal, no nasties. It has meat as the first few ingredients, dogs are carnivores, they need meat. You will find your dogs over all health and energy improve with a far better food.

www.dogfoodanalysis.com

Have a good one.

While it's possible that your dog got sick from a specific can of dog food from Pedigree, I've not been able to find anything about a recall concerning canned beef in particular. There have been recalls as recently as December 5th and August of this year. You may want to do a google search to see if you can find any recalls that might pertain to the formula/flavor you feed him.

I think there's a good chance this has nothing to do with the food, though, and he could have gotten ill from something else like eating something in the backyard, having an upset tummy in general. The eating of anything might have set him off.

Pedigree is a poor quality food and I'd consult your vet to make absolutely sure he's okay. Swtich to a higher grade brand like Wellness or Eagle Pack once he's feeling better and do it gradually, over a week or two weeks to avoid gastic upset.

Hope he's all better soon!