Gordon Barkin Parkin

is there a safe product I can use on my boys to repel mosquitos they bite their muzzles

Asked by Gordon Barkin Parkin on Jul 31st 2008 in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

Moira

Critter Oil, an essential oil mixture. I got mine at robbinspetcare, but they have been sold out. Google for another supplier.

Moira answered on 7/31/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

♥Tiffy♥

Believe it or not, Bounce dryer sheets are excellent mosquito repellents. I didn't beleive it at first, but I tried it and it works. Maybe you could tie the Bounce sheet to their collar.

♥Tiffy♥ answered on 8/1/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

I have used Avon Skin-so-soft diluted down to about 4 to 1 with water, and it works great even for humans & dogs.
Just put it in a spray bottle and mist the dog all over with it.....I keep it away from the eyes though.

you should try using essential oils, i use a combination of tea tree and lavender oil on my dog daffy. its best to bath your dog with a few drops in their bath water, whatever you do dont use it undiluted otherwise your dog may get irritated skin.

Hi Gordon Barkin Parkin!
i think I have a solution for you. I have a product that is all natural with no chemicals in it. It's a combination of essential oils that fleas & mosquitos don't like. Flies too! I use it on my dog & I spray it on myself when I go outside during mosquito season. I wouldn't suggest spraying anything on their muzzle, or near the eyes, even if it is natural, but this stuff works.
They also have an organic, sulfate free dog shampoo with peppermint in it that repels fleas. Great stuff. You should check it out. You can buy it online at www.happytailscafe.com

Taz

Everyone i know and us included use apple vinegar diluted with water in a spray bottle. Every day after walking the dogs we comb and spray the dogs with this. Mosquitoes/fleas etc dont like vinegar, i would recommend this to anyone. Yea your dog will smell like a chippy for like 10mins afterwards but then its gone and it works wonders and is fab for your dogs coat. :D Bonus.
Hope it helped xx

Taz answered on 8/4/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Curtis

it may be cheating .. but i'm told it's safe .. i take a doggy bandanna and spray the side that does not touch the fur with the "human stuff" and then let them wear it...if i don't have a bandanna i spray a rag and tie it to the leash.....hey.. you need something pretty good for northern ontario. :)

Curtis answered on 8/4/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Mugsy

You could also try a local feed shop, I have used fly spray for horses on my dog and it also keeps off several incsects including mosquitos

Mugsy answered on 8/4/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Mosquitos dislike the odor of garlic...
I perfer to fight mosquitos where they live, rather than right on my skin, or my Doggie's. A small amount of olive oil added to any standing water (old tires stacked, bird baths, etc) will spread out across the entire surface and suffocate their larvae.
Here is a helpful link:

www.mosquitobarrier.com

Good Luck...
Gary

wilbur

I have also used Avon SSS. It also makes the dogs smell great.

wilbur answered on 8/4/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I came across a website "azmira.com" and this site is all about all natural products created by a holistic Veterinarian. I downloaded the product guide e-book and on page 22 it gives the product they recommend for pest control. Her entire site is quite interesting. When I had a question they responded to me and were extremely helpful. It's worth looking into.

Sir Winston Churchill Wurchill

Slice 2 lemons paper thin and add to 4 cups water in saucepan. Add a six inch sprig of rosemary and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let it sit overnight.

Put mixture into a spray bottle and spray pets AND "hoomans" each time you go outside.

Keep rermaining mixture in refrigerator.

Sir Winston Churchill Wurchill answered on 8/4/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Kenyon, Angel In Residence

I grow rosemary at home. It's a really easy plant to grow and it needs trimming several times a year. I keep sachets of it to rub down the dogs. It repels the mosquitos and it make the girls smell wonderful.

Kenyon, Angel In Residence answered on 8/4/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Angel

My vet recommened giving my dog a clove of garlic once a week in her food. Its works for us humans to the biting bugs of all kinds don't like the smell it leaves on the skin. I just crush it and mix it in with her food she loves it like a treat.

Angel answered on 8/4/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

R.I.P. Cassie Lou

i use Cutter and i hold it a foot away from my dog. i only use it lightly and i put it on my hand then on her face away from her eyes and the reach of her tounge. use small amounts.

R.I.P. Cassie Lou answered on 8/4/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Bailey My Angel

Advantix repels mosquitos as well as flies. You get it all in one topical. Fleas, ticks, mosquitos and flies. You can buy it where you get Advantage.

Bailey My Angel answered on 8/4/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Hello Gordon,
My mom has horse's, and they sell a repellent for horse's that you can use on dogs, it says right on the bottle safe for use on dogs, one brand is called "Bronco". I know it sounds crazy, but it really is safe, they also sell a spray for both made from marigolds.. Also my mom said that my vet sells repellent right at my vets office. I hope this helps.. try your local farm/grain store, and read the bottles it says right on it Safe for dogs, and its like 9 dollors for a 32 oz. bottle, which will last a while, it is safe, safer then human bug juice, I would think, as it is posted safe, and not posted on the human bug juice.. Hope this helps.. here is to keeping those yucky bugs off. It also keeps ticks off.. If you are using a product like frontline, I would make sure it is ok with the vet to apply anything else on top of that..

"Sproket" answered on 8/4/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Frontline

use a little skin so soft on their coat,only enough to smell.

I have used pure vanilla for 20 years it works for us too and I'm a bug magnet. I also make my own with vanilla beans and cheap vodka.

Bacardi

Bounce dryer sheets work well too. Just rub it on your dog's muzzle to get some of the scent on him. And then just tuck the sheet under his collar, until the scent is gone. Good luck!!

Bacardi answered on 8/4/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Teenie Sardini

Garlic is the safest thing to repel mosquitoes and fleas. They hate the smell! You can either put garlic powder or garlic oil on the skin and hair of the dog or you can feed the dog garlic cloves. You can also get garlic tablets for dogs.

Teenie Sardini answered on 8/4/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Taylor

Try looking for anything topical with Neem - I use a few drops of this on my skin between my legs www.spadiggitydog.com

It is all natural and seems to work well. They also make a soap - great for skin and fleas also. Neem is well known for its repellent effects,

Taylor answered on 8/4/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Hi, I've tried may things, but Revolution, the flea repellent seems to work by repelling mosquitos away from their whole body. Hope this helps. Hplysngl

Seamus McKenzie

Hi!

My mom sez:

"I do not know if this has been tested for doggies, but the FDA (US) recently approved the use of lemon eucalyptus oil as an effective (natural) mosquito repellent. Cutter makes a commercial repellent using this oil as the active ingredient."

Seamus McKenzie answered on 8/4/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Beau

Hey I bought a safe natural spray for humans at the farmers market Squamish, and I always use it on our dogs. We camp alot and its Great and they have no reaction to it. Its the skeeter -spray at www.pvbathandbody.com. The ingredients are good and i was also told if you fill a spray bottle with a bit of citronella and water and spray it, that works too. My dogs react quite strongly to citronella although there is some in the skeeter spray they don't mind it at all, other ingredients include eucolyptus, which hazel there is not much else, they don't mind it at all and it works.

Take Care,
Loreya

Beau answered on 8/4/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Apollo ' The Cat ' Jones

I have used Avon's Skin so soft in our rinse water as well as a spray,and since he was a pup I have LIGHTLY sptinkled Garlic powder on his food...I learned this from my Rancher brother and my baby has never had a flea nor mosquito bite...Here's another way to rid your home of fleas...put a banana leaf in each room overnight and they will be loaded with fleas in the morning...great with sand fleas too...They both can weigh 10 lbs or more here in Florida

Apollo ' The Cat ' Jones answered on 8/4/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I have given my dogs (3) garlic tablets every year and have never had a problem with fleas & ticks. I usually start in April and put a little butter on it, or wrap it in a slice of meat so it goes down easier. I do this every day until usually October. Worked for me and my kids.

Riley

I have used this product for years and it works. It is called Petguard and is made by Virbac. Here is the description:

Combination insecticide and repellent with sunscreen especially designed to protect dogs and cats from flies, mosquitoes, gnats and fleas. Pet-Guard Gel contains double-synergized natural pyrethrins and a powerful fly repellent in a soothing disappearing gel base. Compatible with cholinesterase inhibitors, Pet-Guard Gel protects against ear-biting flies and gnats and keeps fleas and ticks off the face of the dogs, cats, puppies, and kittens of any age.

You can buy this at vet offices and various other places. Just google it! It does work, went camping recently, and the bugs were out of control. Riley was able to enjoy himself outside. Hope this helps.

Riley answered on 8/5/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

"Bite Blocker"~ organic insect repellent works real good. Found at www.herbalhealer.com
We live in the woods where the bugs are pretty nasty and found this to be the best repellent.

Zack

Ask your veterinarian for a flea/tick prevention that also repels mosquitoes. There are several different brands that will work for this.

Zack answered on 8/5/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

We use "Burt's Bees" All Natural Herbal Insect Repellent.
Its what we use for ourslves.
We have also used a cactus oil spray but can't find it anymore.

Micah

I like to use Avon Skin So Soft Oil, diluted with water in a spray bottle. Seems to work on my Aussie

Micah answered on 8/5/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Babe

The newest flea and tick preventative on the market, Vectra 3D, also takes care of mosquitoes. It works like Frontline, as a topical medication, only it has 99% efficacy against all three parasites.

Babe answered on 8/5/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Carter

I have used Burt's Bees brand herbal insect repellant on my dogs.

Ingredients: glycine soja (soybean) oil, ricinus communis (castor) seed oil, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf oil, cymbopogon schoenanthus (lemongrass) oil, thuja occidentalis (cedar) leaf oil, mentha piperita (peppermint) oil, cymbopogon nardus (citronella) oil, eugenia caryophyllus (clove) flower oil, geranium maculatum (geranium) oil, tocopherol

Carter answered on 8/5/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Boomer

We use stuff that we bought at a farm supply store. It's actually made for horses and is safe for all pets. It's an all-natural citronella spray. It is literally called Citronella Horse Spray. It works great, especially considering we live in northern ontario where all the black flies and mosquitos live!

Boomer answered on 8/5/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Ziz Gag Von Guertin

I use Citronella, a small dab behind the ears of your dog should work.
i find this is the best one after spending hundreds on all other kinds of stuff.
hope this helps

Ziz Gag Von Guertin answered on 8/5/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Zeke

I use Avon brand repellent, it doesn't contain DEET, and your family can use it too.

Zeke answered on 8/5/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Paycee

I used Avon's Skin So Soft spray for years in Alberta on my SAR dog but now that I'm on the east coast I also have to deal with fleas and mosquitoes and Black Flies. I have used the Marigold product - but haven't been able to find it lately. I spray my hand and rub it on their muzzles with no ill effects. I do not spray my hand anywhere near their head though. I have also had great success with a product called Citronella Supreme Mister by Natures Formulae Health out of Kelowna, BC. I suspect that next year I will switch from Advantage Multi to Advantix.

Paycee answered on 8/5/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Kinju

I have not checked this with a vet. This morning there was a person on Global TV who was describing how products like Listerine that have Eucalyptus in them are great insect repellants. Apparently, mosquitos don't like Eucalyptus. She said it was good to use a spray bottle cap on a bottle of Listerine and use that to spray the sheets and pillow cases etc.
The thing is I don't know if the ingredients in Listerine or other products with Eucalyptus in them would be good for a dog. I thought you might like to check this out for yourself. You never know what things are OK for humans but seriously bad for the health of a dog.
Good Luck!

Kinju answered on 8/5/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I have found that keeping a spray bottle with Listerine (the good old fashioned stinky kind) works the best. Spray your doggies while ruffling their fur the wrong way, then spray the top of their fur. This works for humans, too. Spray it in the air around your picnic table and the mosquitos and flies won't approach.

Annie

Mama got some spray from this place:

www.cedarcidestore.citymax.com

I'm not fond of being sprayed, but Mama wiped my muzzle with a cloth and sprayed the rest of me with the 'Best Yet' spray, and the critters don't bother me at all. I was having a bad time with the flies, but they don't like me now! Mama says their website says it works for all sorts of other bite-y bugs. All I know is she sprayed it on me and the bugs leave me alone. Oh, and she sprays it on a hot spot on my leg, and that is going away, too.
Excuse me, I need to get back to my nap.
Annie

Annie answered on 8/6/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I agree with two others that have posted - Burt's Bees bug repellant (for humans) works great and is the easiest to find. Just a tip - animals really hate the citronella oil as it actually repels THEM, too. Cats especially will NOT like it and will go bonkers if you try to use it on them. Dogs get used to it after a bit. Cintronella oil is well known for it's natural ability to repel pests, including fleas (works super great for that!). I've even placed a bit of citronella oil in a spray bottle filled with water, shook it up, and sprayed it on. Works well, too. Burt's Bees is heavy and smelly, so no doubt that would work best, and it's natural ingredients.

I use ADAMS flea and Tick controll. It comes in a spray bottle. ADAMS also puts out a spray that you can spray your yard with that controlls most insects.

Their spray that you spray your animals with is even safe for kittens and puppies and I have used it on my ferret.

YES!!! my female golden had the same problem i got a sunscreen/bug repelant for her at world market and it works very well and effectively for her, there was also like breath spray in the packet bath replacement spray, and shampoo i hope this helps.

Ellie CGC

I have used Avon's Skin So Soft as a mosquito repellant for myself and my dogs for many years.
You can actually buy it in spray form, or you can buy the bath oil and the mix it with water in a spray bottle. I brush it into their coats about once a weeks. I used it whenever I play golf. Been very happy with it and it smells great too!

I also think it's effetive for the dogs against fleas and ticks. Bugs just don't like that stuff.

Ellie CGC answered on 2/10/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Angela

while you don't put it directly on their muzzle K9advantix repels misquitos and probably would keep them off their muzzles

Angela answered on 9/6/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer