Herman

Is the Pets Smart obedience training class any good?

I am considering taking my dog to it, but am curious is it's actually worth it, any experiences with it to share?

Asked by Herman on May 6th 2013 Tagged pets, smart, training, obedience, class in Behavior & Training

Answers

Yes it is very usefull

Find out what style they advocate. Is it positive? Will they let you sit in on a class before signing up? How many dogs in the class? Will you get individual time? What about aggressive dogs? How will they deal with that? Is there built in socializing time?
All things to ask/consider. I have heard really horrific stories & really positive stories about PetSmart trainers. I think it all depends on who is the actual trainer, not the location.

Wiley is right... it depends on the trainor and you need to ask questions and observe a class or two. The trainor at our closest Petco is a person I kicked out of my obedience classes for being too rough and who was actually kicking and hitting her dogs while they were in my class. I could certainly NEVER recommend her as a trainer, heck, I couldn't even recommend her as a PET OWNER!!

I have used Petco and Petsmart for puppy training - basics. IMO it is a starting point to get training and social skills for puppies. From what I know, they only use positive training methods and training methods under the direction of those stores. Depending upon the trainer, you can get lots of training skills from these trainers and the classes are not bad in cost wise. Schedules and times can be difficult for some, but most are late afternoon, and thru out the daytime on weekends - check your local stores and talk to those trainers and ask for references and if they are certified. The classes are generally small so attention can be given to all attending. I believe they have policies on how many dogs can be in any given class. Most of the trainers are great from those I have met. Just don't get one who tends to be glued to their cell phones. they have different class levels for training skills too.

Whatever you do make sure you use Alfa or dominance based training. Take the time to learn how to be the "pack leader". I train service dogs and I see all these pet dog trainers that use only positive reinforcement training and I can tell you that is why we have so many dog bites. The dog is a pack animal and you must be in charge or you will always have problems! Humans are just as much pack animals just look at the military.

Caspian

I wouldn't recommend it because the trainers are usually young and not that experienced. There is plenty of experienced dog trainers that is the same price of Petsmart. Petsmart doesn't cover that much in training.

Caspian answered on 5/13/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer