Jett

Is the Golden Retriever breed right for me?

There is an 8 week old puppy that I am thinking of adopting. I have a big backyard, a big house. My parents have said yes about getting a dog, and now it's time to settle on a breed. I have three chihuahuas, one is 7 years old, one is 2 years old, and one is 9 months old. I also have a large black Standard Poodle. I need to hear from Golden Retriever owners, if this is the right dog for me? What are their basic needs, and how is there personality like?

Asked by Jett on Oct 20th 2008 Tagged goldenretrieverpuppyrightoneforme in Golden Retriever

Answers

Golden Retrievers are incredible companions. My parents showed and bred them for years, and they are just such amazing family dogs who really seem to get along with anyone. However, this all comes in how you yourself raise the dog. Making sure that as a puppy, he doesn't try to harass your other dogs, especially the Chihuahuas because he will try to bug them to play. They are a sporting breed, so they do require daily exercise. The AKC website has some great information on the different breeds - www.akc.org - this is what they say about the Golden:
Temperament
Friendly, reliable, and trustworthy. Quarrelsomeness or hostility towards other dogs or people in normal situations, or an unwarranted show of timidity or nervousness, is not in keeping with Golden Retriever character. Such actions should be penalized according to their significance.
Right Breed for You?
This active and energetic Sporting breed can adapt to many different living situations but requires daily exercise. His water-repellant double-coat sheds seasonally and needs regular brushing. With his friendly temperament and striking golden color, this breed is both beautiful to look at and a joy to own.
There is more information on the website, but I thought that these two points would be of the most help to you. They really are a great breed, just make sure that your dog will be able to get an adequate amount of exercise and you will be able to enjoy him that much more. Good luck with your new addition.

Buster (1996-2008)

The Golden Retriever is one of the friendliest breeds there is. They love everybody, and don't have a mean bone in their body. They do need quite a bit of exercise, though. They're smart and easy to train. I would say that a Golden would be a good match for you.

Buster (1996-2008) answered on 10/31/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Goldens are friendly, wonderful dogs, IF, you train them well. They are sporting dogs so they require a fairly good amount of exercise, they also LOVE to swim. If you want more information you can go to:www.dogbreedinfo.com They also have a dog breed quiz to help you decide which dog you should get if your not getting a golden. Another good quiz is: animal.discovery.com Remember, your going to have this dog for 12- 16 years, so you want to make the right choice.

♥ Muddy♥

i think a golden retriever would be great for you. just one thing is a problem a golden retriever. when it gets big it could eat the chihuahuas so keep a very close eye. im not trying to scare you im just keeping you aware of that matter.

♥ Muddy♥ answered on 2/19/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Laura-SD

Golden Retrievers will not eat smaller dogs. I have a pom over at my house and both my goldies have no intention of devouring her. ;)
Golden Retrievers are GREAT dogs. I can brag on them all day, but here are a few things to keep in mind:
They can and will get bigger than 50 lbs. My Laura is 55, but she was the runt of the litter.
They love, love, love their people. If you want a golden retriever body guard following you all day, the golden is for you.
They don't do well outside alone, repeat they can NOT be outside, isolated pets
They shed, shed, then shed some more.
They eat.. a lot
They need to be trained early on. If you don't invest time working with your pup you will have an out of control dog, that is one of my biggest pet peeves
They have tons of energy, no kidding they could go all day on 5 hours of sleep

That all being said they are big love bugs. :) They are easy to train and very flexible.

Laura-SD answered on 7/7/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

♥ Ginger ♥

This dog is perfect with people and other dogs. We have two Standard Poodles and the golden loves them. My golden is great with little kids and dogs. Their personality is phenomenal, they crave human attention. Basic needs are brushing,love,food,exercise,lots of water etc.

♥ Ginger ♥ answered on 10/30/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer