is snorting or breathing problems common in malteses

I have a yorkie so I'm familiar with snorting. But I just got a 5 month old maltese, and after having her for 3 weeks she sounds a little stuffy and have seen her do something like a snort but without the sound, just the kind of breathing that goes with the snort . My yorkie many times sounds a little stuffy especially after eating but it's not that he is sick, it's normal for him. I wondering if maltese have a similar problem or should I take her to the vet.

Asked by Member 726469 on Sep 13th 2008 in Maltese

Answers

I would take her to the vet. She could have kennel cough, which can cause a lot of sniffling and snorting.

Also, what is causing your Yorkie's snorting? Have you had him evaluated by the vet before? Collapsing trachea is a condition to watch for in Yorkies when there are snorting sounds like you describe.

So, unless you know for sure what is causing your Yorkie's snorting, I think a vet visit is in order for both of your pups.

Best of luck!