snickers

Is science diet a good dog food?

is science diet a good dog food?

Asked by snickers on Mar 16th 2010 Tagged sciencediet in Pet Food

Answers

You will get a lot of opinions in answer to your question. My opinion is no, it is not a good food. Check the ingredients. Meat or meat meal from identified sources should be in the top ingredients. I feed my guys a grain free food, orijen, & they do very well on it. Check the thread "So you are confused about dog food" in the food & nutrition forum. It is full of very reliable, fact-based info. After that, it is up to you to decide what you want to feed your dog.

Ingredients: Lamb Meal, Brewers Rice, Rice Flour, Ground Whole Grain Wheat, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Corn Gluten Meal, Cracked Pearled Barley, Animal Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Dried Beet Pulp, Soybean Oil, Chicken Liver Flavor, Flaxseed, Potassium Chloride, Iodized Salt, vitamins (L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Taurine, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract

It is full of corn and rice. This is the adult formula. All of their foods are full with junk.

www.bornfreeusa.org

Check out this site about dog food.

C.J. (C-ATCH,TDI,CGC,RE,ChSN)

I just know I'd never feed it to my dog in million years. Check out "so you're confused about dog food..." in the Food & Nutrition formula to help you find a superior and likely less expensive alternative.

C.J. (C-ATCH,TDI,CGC,RE,ChSN) answered on 3/16/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I am not sure there is any other subject that has more nonsense to be found on the net that dog food. The ingredients that go into a dog food have nothing to do with whether it is a complete and balanced food with enough of all the essential nutrients or not. You can dine on the finest sirloin steak, but if you aren't getting some fruits and vegetables too, you aren't getting a good diet.

I don't know why so many people post what they do, whether they have a poor understanding of nutrition, or have some other agenda, or both.

Science diet is likely as good as anything. I know the one puppy I fed Science C/D did fine on it. If you are feeding Science diet, and your dog is doing well, I see no reason to change. Certainly not because a bunch of people on the internet you know nothing about bad mouth its ingredients. If your dog is doing well on something else, I wouldn't chance.

The dog food forum here is very biased as are most internet sites. Try www.woodhavenlabs.com

Hmm... Well let me put it into people perspective.
Is eating McDonalds Big Macs everyday of your life good for you?
Because Science Diet (and many others... Purina, Pedigree, etc) are the doggy equivalent of eating McDonalds. It's enough to keep you alive (if it doesn't kill you from the health problems it causes), but it's full of nasty stuff, and certainly doesn't make you the healthiest you can be.

Bam-Bam, CGC answered on 3/16/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Boston

I wouldnt feed it. Alot of their formulas contain cellulose or powdered cellulos(basically saw dust) look it up. Also all their formulas contain menadione. They mostly are corn based and you what a food that is meat based as we are dogs after all and dogs eat meat right? Not to mention wheat and gluten and by products o my! There isnt much good there. Check out sedonas thread www.dogster.com
Its very informative and says it all. The nutritional value of a food is very important but Id rather have my dog get its protein from meat and not corn gluten.

Boston answered on 3/16/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Is Science Diet a good food? In a word, no.

Ten or 15 years ago when there really weren't too many other choices on the market, and when most of us were still in the dark ages of dog wellness and nutritional health, it may have been a very good food to feed.

But now? It's one of the worst foods for lots of fillers, unnecessary junk and harmful ingredients.

It's really still around mostly because inexperienced or not very knowledgeable vets push it because they get a pretty good profit cut on the food.

Other than that, all you need to know is that some ingredients aren't just questionable (meat by products) or ridiculous (sawdust) they can be downright dangerous and carcinogenic.

Will this hurt your dog after one feeding? Probably not after a lot of feedings, but after months, years or a lifetime on this food, a dog's health can suffer. Some dogs DO do ok on it, but it's certainly not something I'd ever feed any dog.

Wellness, Orijen and California Natural are great choices.

Chocolate

Sorry Aster's point is completely baseless. Vitamins are all that matters huh? well in that case I'll go on a a diet of kids cereal and take a multivitamin and I guess I'm good to go.

Also Aster continues to mention if a dog does "fine" on something keep him on it. Well anyone can look at this picture or Chocolate while he was eating common brands and say that he's doing "fine".

www.flickr.com

But I'm sure most agree after looking at this one taken 5 years later that he is doing "finer" on a good quality food.

www.flickr.com

No not really, it's not a good food. It contains very useless ingredients like peanut hulls and celluose(fiber found in cotton and wood...um). And bucket fulls of corn.

I feed Wellness to my crew and they thrive on it. Not just survive.

Chocolate answered on 3/16/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Ruby

Science Diet is TERRIBLE! I know from experience. I thought it was a good food so i bought it for my puppy and fed it to her for 4 months. The entire 4 months she had diarreah and we spent money at the Vet's office trying to figure out why she always had the runs....and it was BAD! I mean the yard was covered in it. I decided to look into the ingredience of her food....I was shocked to see what I was feeing her. I switched her food to Acana and the diarreah stoped. Also her dull flaky coat is now soft and shiny. She has stomach issues and eating a food full of garbage ingredience did not agree with her.

For the same price as Science Diet we feed Acana and Acana is a 5 star food. All natural.

Good luck in whatever food you choose!

Ruby answered on 3/16/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Read up (thoroughly) on a dog's digestive system and what they were made to get *optimum* nutrition from. Then compare that to the ingredients present in Science Diet and you'll have your answer.
Questions like this have been very common lately, so I'm just going to refer you to some recent questions similar to your's:
www.dogster.com
www.dogster.com
www.dogster.com
www.dogster.com

The links will automatically scroll down to my answers, but that doesn't mean I don't want you to read other's answers--by all means, do so. In fact, make sure that Dogster is NOT your only source of information, nor your main source.

Lucky

Yes. It is a healthy dog food for dogs. Make sure to get the right kind for your dog.

Lucky answered on 3/17/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer