is pugsley shedding to much? how do we stop him from shedding to much?

my dog pugsley is shedding really bad. when we pet him there is 1000s of his hair and hes 40lbs. and how can we stop him from shedding so much when hes a 8 1/2yr. pug?

Asked by Member 818082 on Mar 21st 2009 Tagged pugsleysheddingtomuch in Shedding

Answers

Katie

Hi Pugsley!
You might be getting rid of some of your winter coat, since the days are getting longer, but you might also have a health problem that's causing you to shed.
First, ask your humans to take you to the vet for a checkup. Then, ask them to read the ingredients on your bag of kibble and/or can of food.
If your food contains corn, wheat, by-products, or "digest," it could be getting harder for you to digest as you age. Ask them to look for dog food that has meat as its first ingredient, with no corn or other fillers. I eat Solid Gold, and I only shed twice a year. Other good brands of dog food are Taste of the Wild, Inova, Evo, and Lotus. Your people could also try feeding raw, but it takes some research to do it right.
At 40 pounds, it sounds like you are either a very large and/or overweight Pug. Ask your humans to take you for a daily walk. It doesn't have to be too far, but you should be getting enough exercise to drop a few pounds, I think. Check with your vet to be sure!

Katie answered on 3/21/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Hi Pug kid! Pugs tend to shed almost all year long. They have a very tick coat and under coat, too....
I love pugs !!!! But, they do tend to have dry coats and dry skin.
YES, here is what you can do:
1. Add 1 teaspoon of Salmon oil to the dog food - mix into the food 1 x per day.... LONG term..
2. Give Pugsley 1 NuVET wafer per day :
see here: www.apluspetcare.com
3. Get a rake comb and brush Pugsley 2 x per week - It is called an UNdercoat rake brush. It has teeth and will reach down to the dead and dry Undercoat. YOU can find an undercoat rake at most pet stores.
The salmon oil and the undercoat rake can be found at the pet store: the NuVET need to be ordered from the link above.

BEST wishes...

Bridget aka Bad Pants, Ruby Ru

Certain breeds shed more than others. And the hairs can seem extreme in dogs who have long coat or double coat.
But, what ever the age doesn't determine the shedding. The old coat dies off and new ones come through with the seasons.
There are products to reduce shedding at say petsmart. You might want to check them out.

Bridget aka Bad Pants, Ruby Ru answered on 3/21/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Sassy

The undercoat rake is a very good tool. I was looking forward to using it last year but my dog didn't need it! I had been using a Furminator all year and the dog didn't ever need the rake. I bought it at a local store with a return policy in case it didn't work for my dog as it doesn't work for all dogs. A short double coat is usually improved with the Furminator though.

You can also give your dog a warm bath and rub him several times as he is drying to gently encourage the old nearly shed hairs to release. A bath helps reduce the hair falling for about a week.

Sassy answered on 3/21/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Twister Napoleon

Give him a bath, but before you do so, give him a good brushing.After the bath, brush him again.The reason you should brush before is because it loosens up all of te loose,old hair, and also dirt.Then, when you are washing him, the water will wash away all of the looose fur and dirt.If this doesn't work,take him outside daily to brush him.I hope my solutions work!!Don't Worry!!Be Happy!!!!-T.N.G.

Twister Napoleon answered on 4/19/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer