Is plain white rice good for a dogs diet?

ive been mixing white rice with wellness puppy mix dry food for my pit is that good? He eats it right up with no problem and he has solid stools also.

i was giving him raw carrots which made him very gasey but another dogster member told me to stop giving him carrots thats was the cause of him farting and ever since i started giving him rice he farted one time and thats great. i just wanted to know if it was safe to give my dog rice with every feeding?.

and the dogster memeber also told me that foods, treats etc that have whole grain in it makes pits gasey so what are some more human foods that a pit can eat. i heard bolied chicken breast was good also please help!..

Asked by Member 892421 on Oct 15th 2009 Tagged plainboiledwhitericewwellnesspuppymixdryfood in Homemade Food

Answers

Rambo

You really do not need to give them anything extra. The wellness has all he needs.

Rambo answered on 10/15/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

No. Most modern dog foods are carefully formulated to be the complete and balanced diet dogs need. Adding anything else ruins the careful balance.

Dogs nutritional needs have been well know for a long time, but are rather complex. Check your Wellness bag and see how many different ingredients it has. Each one adds certain nutrients. They have been selected to give your dog enough of everything without too much of things that an excess causes problems.

The less human food you give your dog the better.

The worst thing you can do is to bribe a dog with rich foods into eating more than it needs. Instead, Put down the dish with what the dog should eat, and give it 15 minutes to eat. Then take it up. Do not give it anything to eat until its next scheduled meal.

You should be feeding a puppy chow now. Switching to an adult chow for the
larger breeds at 4 months, slows growth and helps develop sturdier joints.

Your dog definitely should be narrower at the waist than the hips and chest. You
should be able to easily feel the ribs, but not see them. Each dog is different.
Standard recommendations are a good place to start, but each dog must have its
food and exercise adjusted to its individual needs. Here is a link to a good
illustrated guide, www.longliveyourdog.com

jazzy

well just remember that rice has alot of carbs that may add some pounds to your dog! u have a pit bull? um chicken is good becuase that has alot of proten! my sisters service dog we put green beans and carrots to his dog food becuase it makes him full faster so he stays lean. peas are good food for animals.vegies are great for dogs becuase there no calories. pits are good dogs and they need lots of protin cuase there big! and also i would stick to vegies and there dog food. is he or she on dog food? hope to hear back thanks

jazzy answered on 10/15/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Plain white rice when ADDED to a balanced diet like you're doing is FINE. Absolutely, completely FINE!

Rice is great for any healthy dog or dogs who have slightly or severely sensitive tummies. It binds everything together and is very soothing to the digestive tract as it passes through.

I had a lab mix who had a handful of plain boiled white rice with his food EVERY DAY for life.

There's nothing at all wrong with it. Now, I would caution that if you're only feeding the dry food and not canned, you might want to reconsider. Moist or canned food and dry food are ideal in a ratio of about 60/40 canned to dry food. Dry food alone isn't as nutritious.

But, definitely keep feeding him the rice. It's going to really help his digestion and it's 100% safe to give him for life.

I heard that brown rice is better then white rice but it is fine to give it to them

Chocolate

no point. dog food has more than enough carbs. supplement with meat. i give mine raw beef ribs twice weekly

Chocolate answered on 10/15/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

No. Most modern dog foods are carefully formulated to be the complete and balanced diet dogs need. Adding anything else ruins the careful balance. "
Complete and balanced? Most of them? Really now? Then why is it that my dogs do better on meat-based foods? Why is it then that my Papillon mix does better on his raw diet than my GSD does on her kibble diet? The commercial foods in general are obviously balanced enough to keep a dog alive, but not for much thriving. Depending on the brand. Honestly, I've heard stories of dogs surviving on bread and water. They are flexible creatures, doesn't mean they should eat just anything or just any food.

Aster, why is it that you harp on experience one minute, but the next say (as I perceive it) that the proof is that so-called experts recommend it? Why do you ignore the testimonies on this very site about dogs generally doing better on meat-based diets, but try to say your experience proves us wrong? Have you even tried the meat-based foods? Whyshoud your word be any better than anyone else's? Have you even looked over the glorious studies you speak of? Have you ever considered that your "top professionals" may be lying to you? You ask us to consider that the internet is made up of lies by certain dog food companies. (And I for one, have. Very seriously. However, my experience only supports what I have read.) Well, your professionals could lie just as easily. It's a big world out there, Aster. Anyone, absolutely *anyone*, can feed you lies. Even those thought of as professionals.