Is pepprmint oil okay to use around dogs to get rid of mice Could it have the unwanted effect of not using the dog door?

I want to use peppermint oil around my doggie door where mice are entering, as I can't keep it closed during day, and they are now in my house. I want to spray it around the door to keep them out. Will it affect my dog or discourage him from using it?

Asked by Member 1151585 on Jan 23rd 2013 Tagged peppermintoil, dog, doggiedoor, mice in Dogs and a Clean Home

Answers

I got the following information from the ASPCA website:
"Oils such as peppermint can cause oral, skin and gastrointestinal irritation—if swallowed in large quantities, central nervous system depression may occur as well. Due to its potential for problems, we would not recommend giving peppermint oil to your dog. If you’re looking for a supplement to support your dog's health, we advise communicating with your local veterinarian to get a recommendation for an appropriate product".
Hope that helps. Good Luck!

Yes, peppermint oil is fine to use. It will not effect your dog in anyway and I don't think it will discourage him from using it. Test it out and see how it works.