scruffy

is peanut butter safe for dogs?

Asked by scruffy on Mar 19th 2009 in Food & Nutrition

Answers

Baxter

Well, normally yes.
There is peanut allergies. But, I don't know if that is human only.
Last year in Blakely Georgia a plant sent out Salmonella contaminated PB to 46 states.
In a whole 9 people died as of date and 691 sick from PB containing it.
I have tried to stay away from it.
But, as far as allergies, you might want to call the vet and ask to be on the safe side.

Baxter answered on 3/19/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Peanut butter is safe for dogs and they love it. I put a bit in Deogie's kong from time to time.

Bailey

Yes peanut butter is totally fine, I feed it to my dog in his Kong almost every night. Just be careful with the recent PB recalls and only buy brands that weren't recalled, but it was mainly for PB products, not the actual PB in a jar.
My dog adores PB and thats what I sometimes use as a treat, and to get him to take his heartworm meds i just dip it in PB and he swallows it whole! BOL!

Bailey answered on 3/19/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Not only is it safe, barring individual allergies, of course. It is the best thing you can use, that I know of, anyway, to safely remove pine tar from your pet's coat! Works on cats, too!

Sure - I know there were some problems with peanuts, in the past.... HOPE the Health department has some good control on this now...
Otherwise: sure it is great for dogs...

Here is a recipe to try:

PEANUT BUTTER BASSET BISCUITS

4 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups oatmeal
1/2 to 3/4 cup chunky peanut butter (EXTRA chunky)
2 1/2 cups hot water

Mix all ingredients, adding more hot water if dough is too sticky. Knead well. Roll out to 1/4" and cut into shapes with cookie cutter. Bake on greased cookie sheet at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Turn off heat and let cool in oven overnight.

Need cooking help : see all experts : dog food expert - ask the Pet Nurse:

www.allexperts.com

Sassy

AND it is very rich so only feed a little bit of it at a time. That kong? Not stuffed, a teaspoonful smeared around the inside will keep your dog happy and busy for a while.

Sassy answered on 3/21/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer