Is packaged lunch meat bad for my do?

Asked by Member 983110 on Apr 23rd 2010 in Other Food & Nutrition

Answers

It can be bad in large amounts as it contains salt. Salt might cause stomach upset or dirrehea.
It is cured and stays fresh with salt.
I use lunch meats occassionally to train with so I know it is not dangerous to them.

Gidget

A few bites here and there won't hurt your dog. This will depend on the breed a little as well. Some real fragile breeds don't digest human foods so well, but for the most part, if you dog doesn't seem to be food sensitive, it won't hurt to allow him to eat lunch meat.

I use it for snacks sometimes before bedtime, but I don't use it for meals.

Good luck.

Gidget answered on 4/23/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

♣Duchess♣

I agree with the above answers,
just dont feed much to ur dog. and i only use it for treat time with my pups!!!
Or training..... :)

♣Duchess♣ answered on 4/23/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

No, a little occasionally won't hurt. The less you feed your dog other than dog food the better. Dog foods are carefully formulated to be the complete and balanced diet dogs need. Adding very much of something else can ruin the careful balance.

A tiny bit is ok.

Any more and, depending on your dog's overall health, you could be risking it. Dogs can develop pancreatitis from fatty foods and the packaged lunchmeat is packed with fat and salt.

If your dog is older or has an underlying heart issue, the salt can be very harmful.

But why feed a treat that's so high in fat and salt in the first place when there are so many other treats and unprocessed food out there than you can safely feed as a treat?

A bit won't hurt--I have to use a couple of slices of it daily to feed my dog her medication for incontinence. (It's about the only thing that'll wrap around the tablet well enough for her to not notice it.)
As others have stated, it is high in salt, so be careful.

While it could be said that commercial dog food is carefully formulated, no brand of food is free of ingredients that dogs just cannot digest as efficiently as their natural diet, so even if the food really is 100% balanced, the dog isn't going to get all of the nutrients anyway. Just a note. Whether you think adding things is okay or not is up to you--I have no qualms with it myself. My GSD gets plenty of healthy meaty table scraps.