is oatmeal good for dogs

Asked by Member 635284 on May 21st 2008 in Homemade Food

Answers

Yes it is very fine for dogs, as long as you don't add sugar and stuff you like to add to it! I feed Sadie and Bella oatmeal sometimes just not all the time, i put 1 teaspoon of sugar in it though, and thats it! Make sure your puppy or doggie does not have any med. stuff that it can't have sugar! I would not feed it to them everyday though because they really need there dog food, it has everything in it for dogs or puppies, that they NEED~! God Bless!

I would personally not get into the habit of feeding people food, especially if you aren't sure what they can and can't have, not to mention they will learn to expect it, and could even start to refuse to eat their own food. I would stick to dog food and dog treats if I were you.

Lily

My furgirls love oatmeal cooked with meat and vegetables and supplemented with a mixture of nutritional yeast, lecithin, bone meal, or calcium, Vit C and kelp (didn't use). Oatmeal is the highest protein grain, but not high enough for a dog without meat added. They are not vegetarians!

Check housepetmagazine.com/05/Dog_Food_Recipes.htm
for good recipes or buy Dr Pitcairn's New Book of Complete Health for Dogs and Cats. Amazon has it very reasonably priced.

Lily can't have home cooked food right now and it bothers me. I know how much my dogs enjoy it.

Lily answered on 5/21/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Some premium foods have oatmeal in them as an ingredient, and it isn't toxic to dogs.

I would only hesitate to give it to a dog if it were a sugary, instant or flavored kind of oatmeal.

Stick to an organic oatmeal that isn't flavored and doesn't have anything in it to irritate the dog's colon or give him an upset tummy.

And, feed in moderation, especially at first to avoid upset tummy, too.