Lily

is natural food unhealthy? vet says it is!

i feed my dogs GO Fromm and Halo dry. on their last check up at the vet he said although the foods are great and both dogs are in excellent health the healthy natural foods are dangerous for dogs because they contain too much protein. he tried to convince me to buy science diet or purina veterinary food which i just flat out refused to do. i only want the best for my pups and thought feeding them healthy food was a good thing. can the natural foods harm my dogs with too much protein? both my dogs are very active and healthy. if too much protein is bad could i not give them some rice or something? their vet is insisting on hills or purina and i dislike both brands, what should i do?

Asked by Lily on Jun 30th 2012 Tagged naturalfood, protein in Other Food & Nutrition

Answers

Carter

vets like that only want the kickback. i would suggest on getting a different vet. more natural is the best way to go, you are doing a great thing trying to do the best for your dogs. most vets will not recommend a food unless something goes wrong with the dog, allergies, vomitting, or whatnot. soy,corn,wheat,and all by products are bad for dogs and can cause allergies. i hope you find whats right for your dog.

Carter answered on 6/30/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Y'know, the studies saying that too much protein is bad were done on rats, not dogs.

Anyway, you'll find a lot of vets saying this. Their nutrition courses are almost always provided by companies like Hills (Science Diet) or Purina, so my advice is to take it with a grain of salt.
If it seems to be working for your dogs and you've noticed an improvement, that's pretty hard to argue with.

Lily. Once he says the dogs are in excellent health..cut him off with a smile & a thank you. A firm "I am happy with my choice, thank you." Then no more discussion. Check out Orijen's white paper. It addresses the high protein-kidney damage myth and is very informative. Cites scientific, peer reviewed studies. You can access it at www.orijen.ca
You are the paying client, you are right, stay strong, read the white paper...seriously..you will feel so much better.

Seth

There are natural foods out there that do not have high amounts of protein in them. I use the Nutro brand products and most of them are around 23-25. You were smart to stay away from what the vet wanted to sell. they are so full of by-products and fillers it is not even funny.

Seth answered on 7/6/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer