Is my puppy tired or out of shape?

My 7-month-old Westie puppy seems to get tired pretty soon into our walks. After we've walked maybe a mile or so, she's panting quite hard and sometimes is so tired, she just doesn't want to walk anymore. I don't know if it's because she's still too young and the walk's too long or the pace too fast (or both), or if she's out of shape! If it's the latter, what should I do? She does go for walks regularly, and is full of energy at home. I only had big dogs in the past and they could run for miles.

Asked by Member 755014 on Nov 12th 2009 in Exercise

Answers

Maybe your dog has health problems with her lungs. She is a puppy and should be able to walk more then a mile with out it taking any affect to her.

I think a mile walk, particularly at a brisk pace, is way too much for a baby puppy's growing bones and body. I would shorten the walk by at least half until she's over a year old and done growing. At 7 months it is unlikely she is out of shape at all!

I say that is a long ways for a little pup.
I don't take them for walks for long time. Just yard play is really best. Pups like to play then sleep. Their exercise gets sort of worked out by themselves. They do that play , sleep, eat, poo ect.. for months then in time they get themselves stronger and bigger.
Walking pups is really not a good thing to do, I have learned this over many years of raising dogs.
It would be a great ideal to take her to the vet for another puppy check and express your concerns at that time so they can give her an overall look and listen to the heart/lungs and see her.

Seth

That is a long walk for a small dog. You may just want to back off the distance and work up to longer walks.

Seth answered on 11/12/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer