Champ

Is my malamute underweight?

I took my mal to the vet today. He is 4 months old. weighs 18.7 lbs (8.5kg) and is 17 inches at the shoulder. Is this normal? The vet says he is fine but compared to everyone else here, he seems a little small. Any ideas? My dog groomer says I should give him a calcium supplement. Maybe I'm feeding him too little? Right now I feed him a pouch of pedigree wet food and wait 15 min and give him about a cup of pedigree dry food. I do this 3 times a day. He hasn't been dewormed yet. Could this be why?

Asked by Champ on Nov 10th 2012 Tagged underweight, malamute in Food & Nutrition

Answers

I wouldn't give him a calcium supplement. That can cause problems with his growth. Keep him on a good large breed puppy food, and that should be enough. Pedigree is not a good food. You can browse the nutrient portion of this site on the forums to choose what you think would be a good food for your dog. If your vet says he's fine, then I would believe your vet. Large breed dogs are better a little lean, because it's easier on their joints, esp. as they grow. Good Luck with him.

Your puppy should be on a QUALITY large breed puppy food, with meat as the main ingredient. Pedigree contains way too many carbohydrates and starches, which convert to sugars. Since dogs ARE carnovores, this sugar is not an appropriate food for them, especially rapidly growing puppies.
Adding calcium supplements is the worst thing you can do to a growing puppy. The levels and balance between calcium, phosphorus and other minerals is critically important for bone and joint development and is balanced in a good, quality large breed puppy food. Adding more will greatly upset that balance and can lead to lifelong bone and skeletal issues.
Do some research, read dog food labels and chose a better food like Taste of the Wild, Wellness, Blue Buffalo, etc. All these companies make large breed puppy kibble and all would be a MUCH better choice for a large breed like a malamute.
Nearly all puppies are born with worms, usually roundworms and they need to be checked often and wormed if needed

Tiara

I am not a fan of supplements at all. I would stay away from them as long as you can. There have been to many cases of dogs ending up with health problems or growth problems because of them. I think I would look into something besides pedigree to feed your dog. Because of the amount of grains in the food, your dog does not get as much out of the food , and most of it goes to watse in the backyard for you to pick up. Look for a food that had meat as the first ingredient in the food. I know nutro max is not much higher then pedigree and is an all natural food with meat as the first thing. Also when you feed better food, it takes less to fill them up, so in the long run, it may be cheaper to feed better food to your dog. You will also find that you have less pick up because the dog gets more out of the food.

Tiara answered on 11/16/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer