Is my Husky's petite size normal?

My Siberian Husky, Cadence, is over a year old, but is only about half the size of my 8 month Shepherd mix. Most all of the husky pictures I find are of larger dogs, and when I find one that is smaller, it turns out to be an Alaskan Klee Kai, or some mix. I have never owned this breed before now, so I don't have a lot of experience. Does anyone else have a small fullblooded husky, and is this normal? Thanks in advance!

Asked by Member 1129439 on Sep 5th 2012 Tagged siberianhusky, appearance, size, small in Breeds

Answers

UCH Onyx TT, CGC

By their standard, Siberians are medium sized dogs. Females are should fall into the 35–50 pound range. Like many breeds, they've been bred to be oversized, so it's not uncommon to see large Huskies, but it sounds like your girl is perfectly normal for the breed.

UCH Onyx TT, CGC answered on 9/5/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Siberian Huskies aren't suppose to be big dogs, they're suppose to be medium sized dogs, some are just smaller than others. She looks purebred to me. I've seen many purebred Huskies that are petite.

Nope, they're smaller as a breed than your Shepherd. Mine weighs 55 lbs and is on the larger side for a female. She's not very tall. They're bred to be compact so that they move efficiently while working. Yours probably won't get taller, but she'll fill out For about the next year.

Your dogs are beautiful! Best of luck!