Kato

is my Husky puppy too big??

Kato is a pure breed 5 and a half months old Siberian Husky, at five weeks old he was 6LB. today he stands at 24 inches at the shoulders and he is about 50lb i was doing abit of reading and most adult huskys on average stand abit under that and are as big as 60lb. is kato's height and weight normal? How much more will he grow?

Asked by Kato on Apr 2nd 2011 Tagged katosheightandweight in Siberian Husky

Answers

Halo

A bit large but not abnormal. they get 76-90% of thier growth by six months so, that's fine.

Halo answered on 4/2/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Ginger-  M.I.A.

Sounds normal to me. There are purebred Siberian Huskies in the 70-80 lb range. (Not from reputable breeders though, since these dogs are considered undesirably large for the breed and are NOT desirable breeding stock.) Males also tend to be bigger than females, so expect him to mature on the larger end of the scale for the breed.

He probably has 10 or 20 more pounds to grow, but he's almost there now.

Ginger- M.I.A. answered on 4/2/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Kato sounds like he is doing well. Talk to your Vet to see what they think about his weight.
He does sound a little large for his age. You don't want his legs to grow too fast. I am wondering if you should mix his puppy food and some adult food at a 50:50 mix until he is 12-13 months of age? Ask you VET what they think:
Here are some good food choices -
SEE link:
en.allexperts.com
Any questions - you can write to us at our dogster e-mail...
BEST wishes: miss Priss and MOM

I don't mean to be funny, but do you have papers on him? He looks like a Husky/Shepherd mix to me.

He looks purebred to me... AKC has a site that lists the standards for each breed. You could check there for more information.

I would definitely NOT mix his puppy food with an adult food until he is done growing. Large breed puppy food is made with LOWER calcium and phosphorus levels to SLOW growth in order to prevent bone and joint issues. Taking him off large breed puppy food and adding adult food is going to increase those levels and stimulate fast bone growth, exactly what you DO NOT want in a large breed growing puppy. It will be compounded by the fact that he will have to be getting even more adult food to keep the calorie and energy levels high enough for a growing puppy.
Keep him on a quality LARGE BREED puppy food until he is 18 months or even older, then gradually make the switch over to a high quality adult or ALS food.
Most veterinarians have not been schooled in nutrition so they are usually little help with issues such as this. Large breed puppy foods are designed with large, fast growing breeds in mind, and are designed by canine nutritionists with knowledge of bone problems in these bree

well hes not just any average husky. how much r u feeding him a day? just feed him once a day. they get 45 to 130 lbs. so i think you should take him to the vet and get him checked out.