is my dog to old to mate shih tzu 9yrs old? and would i get one of the litter? and our can i find a bitch to breed with?

Asked by Member 872030 on Aug 29th 2009 in Breeds

Answers

Please go to www.woodhavenlabs.com

Producing quality puppies is a very involved task. We already have too many people breeding dogs that are not the best. And best means far more to me than being competitive in the show ring.

For various reasons, we are breeding so many dogs that we slaughter millions of them a year for lack of homes. Check www.petfinders.com and see how many Shih Tzus need homes. the gas chamber, heart stick, and other less than humane waysof killing dogs await many.

Fritz

First of all, no legitimate breeder will want to cross with your dog. I am sure he is a wonderful fellow, but he is not stud dog material.
The saying in horses is, breed the best to the best and hope for the best. I think it is true for dogs too.

Your dog would need to be idea for his breed, have a perfect temperament, and to have proved it in some way. You would need hundreds of dollars of health and genetic testing as well.

Do yourself and your dog a favor. Have the dog neutered and purchase a puppy from a good breeder who grills you and makes you give references before trusting you with a puppy.

Rescue is also a good alternative and will save the life of a puppy/dog some BYB produced with no thought of it's future.

Fritz answered on 8/29/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

All you're doing is contributing to more surrendered dogs that end up in shelters because the backyard breeding usually ends up with sick dogs or dogs with temperment problems.

If you're so bent on having a new shih tzu puppy, please come to the shelters near me and you can pick from the many that are here. And I mean many. Pure breeds too. Can you believe it? Who would give up a pure shih tzu? That's odd.

Bridget aka Bad Pants, Ruby Ru

Your dog is too old.

Bridget aka Bad Pants, Ruby Ru answered on 8/29/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I agree with the others...you do not yet know enough to be breeding. This is evidenced by the basic questions you have.
(1)Breeding without the necessary knowledge is extremely risky business for sire, dam, and pups. (2)Breeding just any dog for any reason is a good way to make the health of it's breed go lower, and make it all that much harder on the dogs dying in shelters due to too many people breeding for all the wrong reasons.
I am not attempting to be rude in the least, I am only giving the facts which I have learned myself from over three years of research. There was a day not so long ago when I knew next to nothing about breeding myself, much less responsible breeding.
One, if your dog is a female, yes she is too old to be bred. Males can be bred at almost any age past two if they are healthy, I believe. If you'd get one of the litter would depend upon what you decide with the other owner. The best place to find a quality female is through the breed's parent club.
Please see this page, "So you want to be a breeder?":
cookiemiller.tripod.com
And this page which tells you a few of the many problems that can arise even among those who fully understand what they are doing by breeding their dog:
www.woodhavenlabs.com

My website is an *introduction* to the world of responsible dog breeding:
cookiemiller.tripod.com
~Tiffany, breeder-in-training

Please look at the Wood Haven Labs link & fix your dog...Please leave it to the professionals.

Boo

The fact that you asked such questions begs the response, "don't breed at all".

Get your dog fixed and enjoy their life with you. Leave the breeding to trained and educated kennel owners.

Boo answered on 8/30/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer