Is my dog having seizures?

Well, I own a 2year old Chihuahua x Jack Russell mix who will go to sleep and while he is sleeping, he yipps and shakes. Also, his eyes roll to the back of his head and we can't wake him up when this happens! The shelter never said anything about this and he is normal weight and has never had any injuries that we know of.

Asked by Member 805915 on Feb 18th 2009 in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

Chanel (Rehomed)

I would take him to the vet IMMIDIATELY before it's too late!!

Chanel (Rehomed) answered on 2/18/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Princess

Like the other person said, you should probably take him to the vet just incase. I'm not saying that it is seizures but you really never know. If the vet sais it's not nightmares then it may be something minor like having nightmares(that's what happens to my dog)>she is part chihuahua also.

Princess answered on 2/18/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Dahlia

Eyes rolling back into the head does indicate a seizure. Unless your dog is having them every day, it's not urgent, but it would be a good idea to have your vet do a blood panel to rule out thyroid,etc Most seizures don't really have any reason for happening (idiopathic) and can be treated with medicine. The meds won't stop them completely, but will lengthen the duration in between. Good luck with your pup!

Dahlia answered on 2/18/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Well some dogs when they sleep shake roll eyes move feet and legs. They will growl and twitch their whiskers and toes. They are having a real good dream.
But if the dog is doing this while fully awake and slobbering I would worry.
Some dogs will start to stagger and fall on the floor while seizuring.
If you can not wake him that is very concerning. Then I would say it is very strong possiblity he is having a seizure and I would take him right away to vet. Seizure will cause nerve damage, neurogical damage and there is no cure for it.

Jasper

I would suggest talking to a vet about it, although it has been said dogs have nightmares (I'm pretty sure mine does!!!) and in turn they can yelp or kick around. Also dogs DO experience REM just like humans, and REM is your eyes moving around in the back of your head.
If your dog is experiencing these symptoms AFTER he has fallen asleep he is probably dreaming, but I would still speak with a vet about it just to be sure =)

Jasper answered on 2/20/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer