Is my dog eating enough?

I've had my rhodesian ridgeback/boxer for 2 months. The vet says she should weight 60-70lbs. right now she weighs 49lbs. I feed her 1 1/2 cups of Wellness CORE twice a day. which is on the high side of what the bag says to feed a dog of that weight. The vet says she is clear of worms and other parasites, but she wont pack on weight and you can see her ribs. The vet says to feed her twice as much as I am now.... but CORE is a little expensive for that.. :( Is there something else I can give her to pack on more weight for the winter? (she's an outside dog) My dad suggested a little cooked pork mixed in with one of her meals. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Asked by Member 906217 on Dec 1st 2009 Tagged rhodesian, ridgeback, core, wellness, food, dog, weight in Pet Food

Answers

outside dogs especially short haired ones need more calories in cold weather. I'd say your vet is giving you good advice. Can't afford to keep your dog healthy? Maybe you should rethink your food choices, doesn't matter how "good" the food is if your dog starves/freezes to death, does it? Make a choice, feed her adequately or give her up, how would you like to get by OUTSIDE in the winter on half rations? I know when you think this out and get some GOOD advice about food choices you'll realize the BEST food for your dog is a food that you CAN afford and one that supplies adequate nutrition.
Aster, how about jumping in and giving this poster some advice about food/nutrition/cost.

A ridgeback/boxer outside all the time in the freezing winter months???? I don't understand why people get a pet and choose to keep it outside only. Dogs love and live for their humans, they should be curled up at your feet in the warmth of your home. Where we live Boxers wear coats when their out and abound to help keep them warm.
Your dogs breeds are not meant to be an outside dog only and she will do worse since she is underweight. She has no fat or enough fur to help keep her warm.

Pork isn't advisable because it's too fatty and can cause problems. I'd give her some boiled chicken or turkey with the Wellness Core, but also consider feeding her some of the canned Wellness Core formula, too.

Dogs do much better on a mixture of wet and dry food and the ideal ratio is about 70/30 wet/dry. A dry only diet isn't as healthy as a mixed diet.

As for the quantity, it's all relative which makes it hard to figure out what is best for your particular dog. Jack is 28 lbs, gets fed twice a day and he has a cup in the morning and a cup and a half of kibble in the evenings. He's a MUCH smaller dog than yours but he's very, very active. So he needs that food to maintain his weight. If he doesn't get this much, he gets very thin very fast because of his activity level.

It's good you had the vet examine her, and I think if you up the ratio and content, you might see results.

I agree your dog needs to be indoors, especially in winter. It's not safe or comfortable for her.

I wonder where the idea that dogs do better on a mixture of wet and dry comes from?

I think if you check, you will find the common brands, such as Pro Plan or Iams have almost as high of a calorie content as the Wellness. There simply isn't any evidence they aren't as good for a dog as Wellness and other premium brands. All the talk on the net is based on speculation about the ingredients. I strongly suspect much of it originates from the small reps that distribute it.

Are you eating steak and fresh fruit and vegetables? Or are you making do with healthy but economical casseroles? What really counts is having enough of each nutrient, not what you spend.

One other point. You dog may be showing it Boxer side. Some young ones refuse to eat enough to keep their ribs from showing.

If so, the best thing is to is accept it. An unbalanced diet could ruin her pancreas before ever fattening her up.

B.J., CGC

I used to add some hamburger to my dog's winter feeding and lots of warm water mixed in to keep them warmer. These were dogs with thick double coats and were living in a heated house as well.
However, IMO, a boxer/ridgeback mix is not equipped to live outside in the winter, no matter how fat they are. Both breeds have a single coat, and a short one at that! You don't say how old she is, but even an older dog of those breeds is probably not going to be able to keep a healthy weight AND keep warm outside in the Winter. If she is young and still growing it will be even more harmful to her. When I was a shelter manager we took dogs of her breed/coat type away from owners who made them stay outside in Winter and these cases stood up in court. It was considered Animal Cruelty and the owners usually lost the dog AND paid a heafty fine as well.

B.J., CGC answered on 12/1/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

she will most likely not start filling out in her midsection until closer to 2 years of age. very common in high energy dogs to remain super skinny while still a puppy.