Barney

Is my dog a Rhodesian Ridgeback mix?

His head wrinkles up like one and he has the profile of a RR but we are unsure. We were told he is a lab mix at the shelter but they then changed it to a shepherd mix. Then one of our friends came over with their RR and we think that is what Barney may be.

Asked by Barney on Jul 16th 2009 Tagged ridgeback, ridgeless, cute in Breeds

Answers

Unless he has the ridge on his back, I don't think he is a Rhodesian Ridgeback. He actually looks to be a rottie, shepherd, pit bull mix. If you look it up, there is a puppy that looks like him.

Bella

He doesn't appear to have a ridge, and that is the telltale sign of a Ridgeback. I agree with the other poster...Barney looks like a Shepherd/Rottie mix. He's cute!

Bella answered on 7/16/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

He could definitely be a mix. I have several friends with Ridgebacks and his face looks really similar. You'll probably have a better idea when he's older. If he is a ridgeback, you'll start to see a defined muscular build. Ridgebacks have very distinctive personality traits too, so this might help you distinguish his mix. My dog is a Ridgeback mix as well (also labeled a Shepherd mix at the pound because of her black snout) but I was able to nail her breed mix down 100% from her personality.

Also, from personal experience, if you live in an apartment, leave the Lab Mix on his paperwork because some apartment complexes ban Ridgebacks.

Lastly, purebred Ridgebacks do not always have the ridge, even though this is what they are bred for. Puppies that do not have this are usually sold at a much lower cost by the breeder or put down :( pretty terrible if you ask me. I won't get started on this issue, though. Atleast not on this thread :)

He's super cute!!

I would say the chances that your dog is a ridgeback are pretty good, i have a dog that i suspect may be a ridgeback mix so i have done some research and found that often a litter of ridgebacks will not all have ridges. These dogs were and sometimes are culled (killed) or given away.

www.bwanakennel.com

I have a Rhodesian Ridgeback Lab mix. She has no Ridge. She only has a ridge when she is barking at someone or is getting ready to. For your dog to be a Rhodesian ridgeback mix, you should definitely look up some of the traits/characteristics. They're great dogs to have.