Tank

Is my dog a Pit/Black Mouth Cur, or a Pit/Rhodesian Ridgeback?

My boyfriend and I got our puppy Tank from a friends friend. My friend picked him up for us, so we never actually saw the mom or dad dog but from what she was told, the Father was Pitbull and the Mother was a Pit/Black Mouth Cur mix. I was hoping for a full pit, (but I love any dog). I knew Tank never really looked like a black mouth cur to me, in the back of my mind the color was definitely ridgeback. When We took him to a obedience class another puppy was there with the EXACT same black marking on the tail. They did not look alike but the woman said her pup was a pit/ridgeback. Now I believe thats what my dog is. Can anyone tell by the pic? A man said the line on his back is clear (though the fur does not go the other way). I cant even tell if he's pit anymore. HELP ! :)

Asked by Tank on Feb 9th 2011 in Mixed Breeds

Answers

Tank - American Pit Bull Terrier/Rhodesian Ridgeback mix.

It is extremely unlikely that your dog is a Rhodesian ridgeback mix. They are not very common dogs and it's unlikely one would be running the streets breeding stray dogs. And, since the ridge is a recessive trait, it would never show up if only one parent was a Rhodesian Ridgeback... both parents would have to be purebred ridgebacks to produce the true ridge, and the ridge is actually a physical change in the skin...it looks like a healed scar in a purebred ridgeback and can be felt as well as seen.
That black coloring can come from MANY different breeds... different shepherd mixes, huskies, hounds, rotties or dobies, are just a few that could produce the black markings.
I would say your dog is definitely a pittie mix, but that's as far as I would go at his age. When he is mature it may be easier to determine his breeds but right now he is so young that it can only be a guess.

Starbutt

not sure but the ridgeback the way the fur goes on it's back of a ridgeback the wrong way that is I think it is a resessive gene and maybe if this is so your dog would have the back hair going the wrong way. I am not sure of this. and maybe be wrong to.

Starbutt answered on 2/17/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

My ridgeback and myself are a certified therapy dog team, and my boy is also a champion show dog. I love the breed! I have seen several ridgeback mixed breeds. Yes the ridge is a recessive gene, but that doesn't mean it wont show up on cross breed dogs. I have seen ridge/cur dogs with full ridges (which are simply beautiful) and other ridge mixes with ridges through ridgeback rescue. The black spot on the tail is also a recessive ridgeback trait, and usually the spot disappears or at least fades as they grow. Between the coloring of your dog, the build, the look of his head, and all the other info you've given it's extremely likely that this pup is part ridgeback. Ridgebacks are an uncommon breed, but that alone is not reason enough to assume this boy is not a ridgeback. Give him lots of love, you will have a very powerful, protective, hearty, headstrong, intillegent, and amazingly wonderful companion! Congrats!!