molly

Is it wrong to get a puppy from a breeder?

I am getting a puppy for my 16th birthday and i want to adopt a border collie pup but it seems impossible.I search on petfinder.com to see how often a puppy BC is posted but there are never any young puppies in my area.I dont know what to do because i want the experience of having a small 8 week old puppy because i have never had a puppy(i have always had adult dogs) but at the same time adopting would be saving an animals life.So my question is, is it wrong to buy a puppy from a breeder over adopting one in my situation?

Asked by molly on Jun 28th 2010 Tagged bordercollie in Choosing the Right Pet

Answers

Shiloh

No, I don't think it's wrong. I got a Beagle from a breeder a year ago and he makes my life so happy! I agree that there are many dogs in the shelter that need help but I'm like you, I like to raise them as a puppy my way. I like to see there whole life! AI would get it from a breeder because when you think about it if you don't adopt a puppy from a breeder then that puppy could get sold to a bad home and end up on the streets. So by giving it a good home would still be helping it! Also if you're like me and feel sorry for the animals in the shelters then there are other things you can do besides adopt. You can donate money or you can volenteer at your local shelter to help with whatever they need. I hope this helps! :)

Shiloh answered on 6/28/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Brutus

It wouldn't be wrong, no. It would be ideal to get a puppy at an animal shelter, but if you can't find the puppy you are looking for, a good breeder is the next best choice. I bought both of my dogs from breeders and they are just wonderful today.

Make sure that the breeder is a good one. To tell if a breeder is good or bad, they should let you see where you keep the puppies. They should feel comfortable answering any questions about the puppies. And make sure you do ask questions. Puppies should not go home until they are 8 weeks, but I did bring mine home at 7 weeks!

Have a great time with the new member of the family. I know whichever you choose -shelter of breeder- you'll be happy with the new puppy, and the puppy will be happy with you!

Brutus answered on 6/28/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Brooklyn

Getting a puppy from a breeder (as long and they are reputable) is better because the puppy wont come with a history. You'll know that it came from a good place and taken from a bad home that couldn't care for it. It will also mean more because you will have to pay a bit more. Most of the time everything means more if is coast a little more. (sad to say in the case of animals) That's way a lot rescues end up back in the shelter. A good breeder wont let that happen because they will take the puppy back if you can't care for it. If you need help finding one I am on very good terms with the breeder I got my baby from and she might know someone who breeds Border Collies. Let me know!

Brooklyn answered on 6/28/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Depends on who you ask.
My opinion:
No, not as long as you do your research on caring for dogs and on choosing a good breeder first.

We need good breeders around to keep the breeds healthy. It's just not practical to ask them to quit breeding until the pet overpopulation problem is past, by then the dogs that are breeding quality may be too old to breed. And you can't have breeders around without people to get puppies from them.

Please note that a good, reputable breeder will thoroughly screen customers (among many other things). They often have a waiting list.

My website has more information on what to look for in a breeder:
cookiemiller.tripod.com

~Tiffany, breeder-in-training

It would not be wrong to get a puppy from a breeder. Just be sure you get a puppy from a breeder whose top priority is breeding good temperaments and healthy dogs. It is also important to get your puppy from a breeder who will allow you to meet the mother and father (if he lives with the breeder)so you will have an idea of what your puppy will be like when he/she grows up. Be sure and ask what the parents are like in the house if you want your dog to be a house dog. Many border collies are busy dogs and have trouble settling down in the house.
If you are getting a puppy, it is also important to commit to properly socializing your puppy. Border collies can be shy around strangers if they don't meet enough people during their first 16 weeks of life. Find a breeder who has started the socialization process for you by raising the puppy in the house and around children. Lastly, read up on how to care for a puppy and find a good puppy training class to get off to a good start.