Is it wrong for a friend to discipline my dog?

My fiance and I adopted a Great Pyrenees mix puppy from our local shelter last week. Bailey is only about 6-8 weeks old. He is very smart and is potty training very well so far. We had a friend spend the night last night. Bailey whined at the door to be let out, but I wasn't quick enough and he had an accident. The friend took it upon himself to discipline him by smacking him in the face. This upset me for many reasons. Since he came from the shelter, we don't know if anyone had ever abused him (although I have my doubts based on his age). I don't want him to grow up to fear humans. That is why we are using positive reinforcement to train him. When he has an accident, we tell him that what he did was bad. I told the friend that I is my job to discipline him, not his. Is it ever acceptable to use your own discipline methods on someone else's dog?

Asked by Member 1096510 on Mar 1st 2012 Tagged discipline in House Soiling

Answers

If any "friend" of mine ever came into my house and laid a hand on ANY ONE of my dogs as discipline, that friend would no longer EVER be back in my house.
NO, it is NOT ALRIGHT to discipline someone else's dog, and your reasoning is WHY it isn't... something like smacking a puppy in the face can really quickly make a hand shy dog or worse, an aggressive dog who will bite when someone attempts to pat him.
I would seriously not invite that friend to spend anymore nights in my house!!

Keeva

That is NO friend and no, it is never acceptable to discipline another person's dog.

Keeva answered on 3/1/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Maggie

I wouldn't say it is NEVER acceptable to discipline someone else's dog. I think there might be situations where it's warranted. (Rarely.)

But it was WAY beyond acceptable to smack a baby puppy for being unable to hold it. That's not discipline, it's cruelty.

Maggie answered on 3/1/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Okami Amaterasu

I agree with the others. Smacking a puppy for something as small as having an accident is complete CRUELTY. You should never pysically punish a dog for anything, let alone something as small as this. All this will do is turn your dog into a fearful and/or aggressive dog.

I would NEVER let someone like this touch my dogs.

Okami Amaterasu answered on 3/2/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Tiara

If someone that does not live there smacks my dog in the face, they better be ready to get the same thing done to them also. This kind of treatment will just may them more scared of people who are strangers, or are not there all the time. I think you were very within your rights to tell this person to not do this to your dog.

Tiara answered on 3/7/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Carter

Yes very wrong.To me it would depend on what friend is disciplining my dog and what for. For your situation i would have been pissed.My friends know better to treat any animal that way at least around me. I'm a big animal lover so i would be furious!

Carter answered on 4/13/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer