Corkie

is it true that we can give our own dogs there shots, all but rabies??I was told we could buy them from a tractor supply

Asked by Corkie on Mar 5th 2008 in Other Pet Products

Best Answer

Angel Yuki

It is true, but not something I would suggest unless you have consulted a vet and have experience in giving shots. You would also need to know proper dosage. Dogs need annual exams, what you save by giving them their own vaccinations isn't worth it IMO. They would still need to see the vet. Also, some places (like a boarding or training facility) may not accept it as proof of vaccination since it wasn't given by a licensed veterinarian.

Yuki

Angel Yuki answered on Mar 5th.

Answers

Bianca

Yes Corkie, that is true but I would stay away from the farmers feed stores reason being is you do not know if they are storing it at the right temps and how long they have had it. I agree they do need to go to the vet but if you decide to give the shots yourself go with a good online pet meds or even ask your vet some will sell you the shots to give at home and info on how to give them just keep the lable off of the vaccine in case you have a problem or to prove they have been given their shots. Online they vary in price from $3 single dose and up to $100 per 25 doses. Hope this helps you.

Bianca answered on 3/5/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

My used to give his dogs their shots himself, but then they started requiring you to go to the vet's office to get it done. IMO, I think it's good that the vet has to do it.

Yes its true in fact my mom and dad gave my now 3 mth old pups their shots when they were 6 and 8 wks old

Yes, it's true that you can vaccinate at home for everything with the exception of rabies. By law, rabies shots have to be given by a licensed veterinarian.

If you're planning to start doing your own shots, I would talk about this with your current vet and have them show you how to do it correctly. It's not difficult, but it helps to be shown the best way to do it.

You can purchase the materials you need - the vaccines, syringes, etc. from many different places, including online. Drs Foster and Smith has an article on vaccinating at home here - www.drsfostersmith.com - and they also sell everything you need.

When you vaccinate at home, it's important that you keep the labels from the vials, as those are the only proof of vaccination you will have should you need to board your dog or attend training classes. Most places will accept those as proof of shots.

Fun On The Run Kennel Racing

I always vaccinate my own dogs because it is much cheaper. I would ask a vet or vet tech to show you how to give it the first time then you can do it after that. When you buy shots always look at the expiration date to make sure it is still effective. Also make sure to keep the labels and/or the reciept for proof of vaccination.

Fun On The Run Kennel Racing answered on 3/8/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sassie

yes you can buy dog shots from like pets stores or a store called big R or a tractor suplly

Sassie answered on 3/8/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer