Is it safe to give my dog a 1/2 benadryl. he has a skin allergy.

We just moved to a different area. His belly is pink now and his back has tiny scabs on it. Also he scrathes more than ever. He is outside alot more now and there is alot of pollen in the air here. I think he has allergies.

Asked by Member 567663 on Feb 7th 2008 in Allergies

Best Answer

Clay R.I.P. my handsome boy!!

Benedryl can be given to dogs safely.Depends on the weight of your dog.It is 1-2mg per poundSo for example if your dog weight is 25 pounds then he would get a 25mg tablet(this is the lower dose high dose would be 50 mg.
.Do the lower end then increase if there is no change.If your dog has fleas thisis not going to get rid of them and will not help as long as your pet has them.So check for fleas or apply your dogs Frontline and do the Benedryl treatment with the flea treatment.Please check with your Vet to make sure the dog doesn't have any underlying heart problems.

Clay R.I.P. my handsome boy!! answered on Feb 7th.

Answers

If he has allergies, the best thing to do is take him to the vet and have the VET prescribe a medication.

I agree that Benadryl is usually fairly safe for dogs, but I'd urge you to still consult a vet just to be extra safe.

The tiny scabs don't sound like allergies, they sound like a mite infestation. Benadryl wouldn't cure that condition.

Since "allergies" haven't officially been diagnosed, it would be best to have the condition checked out by a veterinarian.

Benadryl is safe in dogs and cats. Start with a dosage of 1 mg/lb every 8-12 hours. If you notice improvement, but not resolution, you can increase to 3 mg/lb. If you don't see ANY improvement at 1 mg/lb, or if there's no resolution at 3 mg/lb within 3-5 days, please seek vet assistance as your pet could have picked up an external parasite that is causing the skin condition (fleas, mange, etc.).

I would not start a dog on Benedryl or any other over-the-counter medications before talking to your vet and ruling out other possible causes.

Gracie Mae (In Loving Memory)

We give our babies Benadryl, but you need to check with the vet for dosages. Also, you need to find out WHAT he's allergic to. It could be that you can eliminate something from his environment and help him much more in the long run.

Gracie Mae (In Loving Memory) answered on 2/8/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Treasure

My dog started getting the same thing when we moved to a new state, and it's become a condition we have to take care of often. It sounds like yours has progressed from an allergy to an infection, which is common. A vet will give you an oral antibiotic and then suggest what treatment to use when this outbreak is cleared up to treat allergies or to figure out what it is. Benedryl does work when an allergy is in a mild state, but not when it's all over like you're describing.

Treasure answered on 2/11/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

♥ Face ♥

Hello All,
Hi Chompers & Clay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have the same problems right now, it started when I moved out of state, a doc's visit revealed he had allergies and an ear infection because of it. The doctor gave him meds, and then recommended benadryl to ease his suffering in case of future flare ups - he is a little over 50 lbs so 50 mlg, was what he said - I later found he was allergic to beef (just one of probably many).... because he still has outbreaks all over - neck, back, sides, under chin, top of head, between toes, corner of eyes, near rear end, under tail - it's horrible for him. Chompers and Clay are right with their diagnosis, and have really helped me as well. before prescribing or even bring up the meds his doc and I had a lengthy convo, in which benadryl was part of th convo. The benadryl is safe to give him now (smallest dose - to be safe)however if ur not sure it's allergies, I would pay a visit first to rule it out... by the way i now cook for him

♥ Face ♥ answered on 2/13/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer