Is it safe to breed a father dog to the daughter???

I overheard some people talking that they just had a litter of shih Tzus and He was telling these people that you can breed father dogs to the daughter. Maybe its true but I think it sounds creepy. Your take?

Asked by Member 667468 on Aug 6th 2008 in Shih Tzu

Answers

Shandi *Oct 2006 - Aug 2012*

In breeding (breeding animals that are related) can cause alot of health issues and deformaties in the puppies. I highly reccommend not doing it!

Shandi *Oct 2006 - Aug 2012* answered on 8/6/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

No, inbreeding is not safe in producing sound pups.

I know some people have done it and some will continue to do it but I myself would highly recommend against it. If their is health problems(even ones you do not know about) you will compound them and the pups will be gentic messes.

(some) Breeders in breed to preserve the pure blood of the breed. But now this has caused a lot of problems in certain breeds. I am very against it.

There are many breeders out there that have done, and will do this. It sounds creepy, but from a reputable breeder, it is not. A breeder would do this only to better the breed, and if the daughter was the epitome of the breed, then the breeder might consider. Of course, all of the health tests would need to be done to ensure health and quality. Really though, breeding the father to the daughter is not common, nor should it be, but it can happen.

It's called inbreeding (the breeding of two very closely related dogs) and it can be disasterous if you don't what you're doing. Inbreeding intensifies traits. If you are breeding for a certain trait and do it the right way, it can be good. But it also intensifies the bad with the good. Reputable breeders rarely inbreed, if ever.
That's what I've read in my research so far, but my research is far from over.
Learn more about reputable breeders here:
cookiemiller.tripod.com

Tasha

Definately NO - I had a Shih Tzu given to me from a nice lady - and, found out later that brother and sister had produced this puppy- had to have her put down at 1 1/2 years old because of her sporatic behavior of biting, and being viciously mean. It was a bad experience and, one I wouln't wish on anybody.

Tasha answered on 5/25/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I'm not going to discuss all the ins and outs of inbreeding here. I'm merely going to respond to the occasional panicked person who writes "the father just bred to the mother, what can happen?." The same answer will apply whether it is father/daughter mother/son sister/brother. What can happen will depend on the genetics of the pair.

Inbreeding, even incestuous inbreeding, is not "bad", but it is risky. Before we understood the nature of genetics it was merely observed that extensive inbreeding created some bad results. A perfectly sensible rule is that if doing something causes bad results stop doing it. However, you get better decision making if you can learn more specifically what went wrong. And in the case of bad results from inbreeding that went wrong is mostly (a) not knowing to keep good records and (b) not understanding genetics.

I cannot tell you how risky your particular inbreeding is. I can tell you what information you need to have to find out. I can tell you that if there are good records on the qualities and health of the other dogs in the line you will have a better chance of figuring out the risks than if you know little about the background.

Let's start with a quick genetics review. Be patient, we'll get there. The qualities that are passed to offspring are passed through genes. Genes are the set of instructions that determine such characteristics as eye color, size, even temperament. For most cells the gene is composed of two sets of instructions. The set can be matched, or unmatched.
When an egg or sperm is created they carry half of the genetic material of the parent. But that half isn't like splitting a pie. It doesn't split down some imaginary middle, of the entire strand, even if some explanations show it that way.
Each gene is split but it can combine with the others in many ways.
Most people are aware that genes come in pairs. But most people also some serious mistakes in their understanding. Getting rid of this mistaken thinking is important in understanding the risks of inbreeding in general, and incestuous inbreeding in particular.

Here are some common misunderstandings:

(1) Thinking of recessive genes as "bad" and dominant ones as "good." That is wrong. Let me give an example. The same results might be thought of as good in one case, and bad in another. Prick ears are wanted in the German Shepherd Dog, unwanted in the Collie.

(2) Thinking it is "better" to have no recessive genes. A frequent argument in fear of inbreeding is that it increases the rate of recessive characteristics. But dominance is not always healthier. The coat pattern "merle" is dominant. The pattern is common in many breeds although sometimes it goes by different names. In the dachshund, for example, it is called "dapple." If you breed together two dogs each with a merle coat pattern you stand a good chance of getting puppies that deaf, blind or both.

(3) Thinking there are only dominant and recessive genes. Genes interact, and some have "incomplete" dominance. The exact results depend upon this interaction, not just the influence of a single gene. That merle gene is a good example. If only one gene is active for the coat pattern, that is fine, if none are active for that pattern that too is fine, but if both genes are active to the pattern, that leads to problems. And that is because, as mysterious as it may seem, the way coat patterns are created also influence the development of structures in the eyes and ears.

(3) And finally forgetting about that second gene pair, the one they can't see by looking at the dog. It is that second set that results the unexpected effects, and that is seen more in incest breeding than in completely unrelated breeding. What you see is not necessarily what you get. It is the unknown in this hidden set that creates the fears, and rightly so.