Chase

Is it only pure breed dogs that have dew claws?

My son picked up a puppy yesturday, he said off the road. It looks to be about 6 to 8 weeks old. Looks like a golden retriever or lab. it is yellow in color with a brown nose. He has white tips on his front paws and has back dew claws. Is it possible he is a pure breed and not mixed? I do not know what breeds have dew claws. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Asked by Chase on Mar 30th 2008 Tagged dewclwas in Golden Retriever

Answers

Cleo

Any dog can have dew claws regardless of breeding, and on all four feet ("dogs can't have rear dew claws" is a common myth). Many good breeders will have rear dew claws surgically removed, but generally dogs are fine with the front dew claws intact. Your best course of action with this puppy is probably going to be taking him to a vet for a full check up to make sure he doesn't bring in fleas or parasites like ringworm or mange, and to get your finding of him on official record that you can present to a humane rescue or (if it comes to that) a court of law in the event he was abandoned or abused.

Cleo answered on 3/30/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I seriously doubt that dewclaws are breed-specific, or pure or mix specific either.

Roxy

The BREED has nothing to do with Dew Claws. Also, many people think the dew claw should automatically be removed. The only reason you should remove them, is IF your dog is a hunting dog. It's possible for the claw to get caught on brush, trees, or plants and rip. Then you chance infection (and pain), but other than that, I've always left them alone. Congrats on the new pup!
:>)

Roxy answered on 3/30/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

No, having dew claws is no indication of being purebred.

Baby Girl

Every dog I've ever had has had dew claws. Purebred shelties, Lab/shepherd mix and my current Pit Bull mix.

Baby Girl answered on 3/30/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Odie-Wan-Kenobi  CGC

all dogs are born with dew claws but usually the purebreeds have theirs cut off by a vet. I can't tell from the picture what breed you are but you look like a Lab mix

Odie-Wan-Kenobi CGC answered on 4/1/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer