IS IT OKAY TO FEED MY DOG EGG SHELLS?

I HAVE HEARD THAT YOU CAN FEED A DOG EGG SHELLS TO PREVENT THEM FROM GETTING WORMS, IS THAT TRUE?

Asked by Member 931581 on Dec 19th 2009 in Alternative Treatments

Answers

Absolutely not! The egg shells are not digestable and will cut up the inside of your dog, causing great pain and possibly death. Stick with the vets worming medication. Even the stuff you but at the supermarket is better that harming your dog in that way.

It will not prevent worms but I completely disagree with Molly's answer. Plenty of home cookers use ground egg shells as their source of calcium. I'm a raw feeder and when the dogs get eggs they occasionally eat the shell. The egg itself is good for the coat (omega-3) and the egg shells provide a small amount of calcium. They won't "tear up your dogs insides". But, they also will not prevent worms.

I agree with Kolbe... egg shells are a great source of calcium and will not harm your dog. I usually crush them somewhat, but my dogs will eat them anyway they can... when I had some laying hens they would take them right from under the hens! But, they will not prevent worms. For some reason both the egg shell and the raw potato as wormers myths seem to persist. Interesting because almost as many people will tell you they both will CAUSE worms. They will not cause, cure or prevent worms.

It is a great source of calcium for your dog. I give Howie egg shells.

K-10 Von Canein

Kolby is absolutely correct.

K-10 Von Canein answered on 12/19/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Kolbe & Toto are correct. I use a coffee grinder to grind them up & add them to my dog treats for added calcium. I grind them to a fine powder & store them in a baggie in the freezer.

my friend she feeds raw diet to her dogs and she feeds raw eggs with the shells on.
The Fable of the shells preventing or getting worms is just that
I think in the 80's I fed raw eggs with the shells on and no dog ever got sick. but, you should be aware of salmonella.

Kolbe is correct. Eggshells will not prevent worms, but they are by no means something to avoid either. Although, I'd never recommend feeding them by themselves. Just as you shouldn't feed a raw bone without meat and/or skin on it. I always mix my dogs' egg shells in some boneless meat--like ground beef.

They aren't going to keep a dog from getting worms. The thing most likely to make an difference is wrecking a growing large breed puppy's joints. Excess calcium in the diet is one of the worst possible things for them. Most foods, both puppy and adult have as much or more than is good for them.

Too bad those that fancy themselves experts on dog nutrition don't know that dogs can't excrete excess calcium until about 7-8 months.

The best thing is to feed any decent kibble and not too much of it. Adding eggshells, eggs, vegetables, or whatever other untested things at best does nothing and can create all sorts of problems by wrecking the careful balance of nutrients in most dog foods.

It will not prevent worms. Just get a de-wormer from your vet. Molly, I can see how you would think that! I would think that too if I didn't get into raw food. Just make sure you grind them up well! You can use a pestle and mortar.
Good Luck!
~ Rosie

Franklyn

Egg shell does not prevent worm, however; egg shells are a very beneficial source of nutrients for your dog. It is a very good source of calcium and improves bone mineral density without significantly increasing blood calcium levels.

But... the thing to remember about egg shells is that dogs do not digesting the eggshell. That is why in order to properly and safely feed eggshells to your dog you must grind it to a very fine powder consistency. Eggshell pieces my give many intestinal issues. Also, I read someone else mention something about feeding their dog raw egg. Raw egg isn't good for your dog. It's not necessarily harmful but its definitely not good. Raw egg contains an enzyme called avidin which decreases their absorption of vitamin B, which leads to skin and coat issues. However, when preparing an eggshell for your dog leave the membrane around the inside of the shell because it contains important nutrients for joints (which help with arthritis), as well as Omega 3.

Franklyn answered on 7/17/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer