Topanga

Is it okay to feed dogs oatmeal in the long term?

My dog doesnt care too much for dry kibble by itself but absolutely loves it when I add some cooked oatmeal to her food. I don't really want to buy her wet dog food, I'd much rather prefer to give her oatmeal since its all natural without preservatives.

Asked by Topanga on Jun 13th 2013 in Food & Nutrition

Answers

Oatmeal tastes good for dogs and is also good for digestion. Nutro has a chicken, rice and oatmeal variety of Natural Choice that I suggest you try (dry and wet). Kibble (dry) dog food has 3x the protein of wet dog food, but wet food is more palatable for dogs. The more human food that you give a dog, the less they will want to eat their own food because they go by smell. Now that you're cooking, your dog might go on food strike when you don't. It's going to be tough love for you, but a combination of dry and a little wet is much healthier than pure grains. All dogs are descended from wolves and mastiffs... can you picture then with a bowl of oatmeal? ^_^

Yes, cooked oatmeal is fine if you mix it with her kibble. Try feeding an all natural, high quality dog food that's grain free. Look into feeding Merrick Grain Free, it's one of the best. www.merrickpetcare.com