Is it ok to run long distances with a Puli?

Asked by Member 1011882 on Nov 14th 2010 in Puli

Answers

With a puppy - NO, never run with puppies. Once the dog is older and the bones developed it can run. In fact an adult Pulik should, it is a very high energy dog.

Long leash walks at heel are a must, Pulik may not be the leader on walks. Combine smart toys with games and training.

This is a herding breed, smart and easily bored with the same old routine. You will have to think outside the box all the time to keep him busy so he does not develope behavioral problems.

Lack of adequate exercise can make this dominant, herd dog, snappy, nervous, and hard to manage.

Good luck with your dog.

as one person mentioned the dog should be of appropriate age.
Not only age but your dog should be in condition and also the vet should be able to give you an okay to start out slowly and condition the dog. That is if the dog is at least 18 months and orthopedically sound.
I do conditioning and training there is an excellent link about conditioning. I also put endurance tests on my dogs. But you have to work slowly at any rigerous exercise program that you pick.

Kazba

I also want to add that with the coat the puli has, it is not a good idea to take them out for a long run when it is hot. I agree that the dog should not run until they are at least a year old and then it would only be short runs until they can build up to a distance.

Kazba answered on 11/15/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer