Minnie

Is it ok to leave my 2 year old dog home alone for 8 hours?

I just got my 1st dog last week and she is 2 year old and is border terrier. Im in winter break now but next week i will be starting school an d noone is going to be home from 7am to 2pm so that means my dog will be home alone for 8 hours and i feel bad because she will have nothing to do and is going to be sad that we left her leave her alone. is this ok ? I am going to be taking her on a walk before going to school. how long should the walk be since im going to leave her alone for a long time? and also what should i do so she wont get bored or sad ?

Asked by Minnie on Jan 1st 2013 in Separation Anxiety

Answers

SNEAKERS

We'd like to be with our pups all the time, but, your situation is not uncommon.
You might limit it's movement to a confined area, have food, water and paper/potty pad where it can relieve it's self. Toys will help, and make sure you remove all "chewables" which are dangerous or important to you.

SNEAKERS answered on 1/1/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

A lot of people leave their dogs for 8 hours. For me, that would be the longest I'd leave her. I figure, how many times do I go to the bathroom during the day. Dogs have to go too. So, I come home at lunch time to let mine out. I know most people don't have that option. Sometimes, I don't make it home, so 8 hours is the longest I've left them. If you have a friend or a family member that can let her out, that would be good. If not, then she should be ok until you get home. Good Luck with her!