Kashka

Is it ok to feed my dog wet cat food with her dry food?

Asked by Kashka on Apr 29th 2011 in Food & Nutrition

Answers

Lexie

NO! It can kill her. Dogs can not eat cat food. If you want to feed her wet food get dog food.

Lexie answered on 4/29/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Actually, it is the other way around... cats cannot survive on DOG food alone since it is much lower in protein AND does not have the necessary taurine for a cat. And, it won't kill the cat unless that is all they eat, it doesn't provide proper nutrients for them.
It is perfectly fine to mix some canned cat food with her kibble. Just watch her weight and make sure she is not getting too heavy since the calorie count is much higher than dog food.
We always use canned cat food in our kennel to entice a reluctant eater or to get a dog that is not feeling well to eat their food. Haven't killed one yet!!!

Pay Pay

I agree with lexie I have seen lots of dogs get very sick and even almost die from eating cat food. Only mix her food in wet dog food.

Pay Pay answered on 4/29/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Here's a list. It could make your dog sick if it's the only thing the dog is eating, which is not the case in what you asked.
It just has more fat and calories as someone already mentioned.
I think your dog would be fine with it now and then. Are you looking for some fishy stuff. I think Wellness as some fish based cans and other brand dogfoods. Google fish based dogfoods and see what pops up in your area.
Iknow there is some other brands bc all my dogs love fish! and sometimes I buy huge pink salmon cans on sale for them :)It's great for the coat

www.peteducation.com

As a snack once in a great while, cat food won't hurt. However, it can if you feed it as a regular part of her diet.

My dogs love to eat Solid Gold Cat Food! No, I don't feed it as a meal. I have fed them a whole sample bag before many times before and nothing has ever happened to them.

The Solid Gold dog food and cat food labels look about just the same to me.

I feed my dogs a Prey Model Raw Diet, so they do get a lot of protein.

I might do that in a pinch, but would use a wet dog food (or cook something up myself) if I were going to do so every day.

Darby - C.G.C.

I'm agreeing with the majority that it will do no harm as a snack. It is much fattier than dog food, which might give a dog digestive issues, or could even set off a case of pancreatitis if fed in large quantities.

Cat food also has taurine supplemented as a essential amino acid for cats. I've seen studies that suggest that taurine should be in dog food as well. It is considered to be good for the heart.

So, cat food for dogs is OK for a treat. Dog food for cats is a no-no, though. Not enough of the proper nutrients that cats require.

Darby - C.G.C. answered on 5/2/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Kazba

Both dog and cat foods are made for the needs of each animal. Therefore, if you feed food not formulated for the animal, you are asking for problems. Once in awhile if the dog happens to eat cat food by accident, it is ok. But I would not make a habit of giving it to them.

Kazba answered on 5/2/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Alfie

I use cat treats for my dog, they are small (much smaller than the smallest dog treat), easy to carry in my pocket, and my vet says "great idea".

Alfie answered on 5/3/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

♥ Lolita ♥

Why would you give your dog cat food if it's a dog???? It's like giving a cat dog food or a fish bird food or vice versa. It makes no sense. Each animal should eat the food specified for them and their needs, period!!!

♥ Lolita ♥ answered on 5/4/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Gia

Is definatley NOT a good idea..

That's why they make seprate foods, cats and dogs are two completely different species and require different feeding diets.

Gia answered on 7/1/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Romeo

NO!!!!! you would kill your dog, and he/she could get really ill, and could possibly die. If you want to feed your dog wet food,try dog wet food. But when you start your dog on wet food you will have to brush his/her teeth more often than if you feed him/her dry food. And wet dog food has more fat in it. I would only use it is your dog is not eating dry food.

Romeo answered on 10/23/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Starbutt

Cat food can make a dog sick have the runs and if you give the dog this ONLY well I don't think it is a good idea and why on earth would you do this yes a dog will eat it they also will eat (SOME DO) their own poop, now knowing this would (IF YOUR DOG DID)you have your dog eating it's own poop just because your dog likes it, there is nothing good in it for the dog and cat food I feel the same about it, the only thing I have heard to give dog food or cat food to that is not for the animal is a chicken and even so not on a regular bases.
THIS IS A BAD IDEA if you wan to give a extra on their food then you need to buy either canned dog food or they have a gravy made for the dog food but I don't give my dogs either regularly it gives them the runs.

Rhayden

Starbutt answered on 10/28/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I noticed that sometimes our dog sneaks dry cat food. If he has lots he throws up and its gross to clean up. He is pretty old but really sweet and good. I just give a firm "NO" and clap my hands hard a few times and he knows he is busted. Then i redirect his attention to something else or to his own food. Maybe calling a local vet and asking them would be a good idea.