♥Tiffy♥

Is it ok to feed my baby warmed up raw hamburger meat?

I am very skeptical about feeding her raw meat, but my Mom gave Tiffy some this morning. Tiffy gobbled it right up, but I am worried about this.

Asked by ♥Tiffy♥ on Jan 18th 2008 in Raw Food

Best Answer

There really is nothing wrong with feeding raw meat to your dog.

Dogs are carnivores, which means that their whole system is set up to eat and digest raw meats and bones: from their strong teeth designed to tear meat to their short digestive tracts. It's all the stuff in kibble like grains and food coloring that is unnatural and unhealthy for a dog.

Dogs' systems can handle the bacteria commonly found in raw meats, such as salmonella, and dogs don't get sick from them the way that humans do. If you stick with human-grade meats from the grocery store, the chances of your dog getting ill are even smaller.

One thing you should know is that, if your dog has always been fed kibble, her system needs to adjust to the addition of raw meat. It's kind of like going from a junk food diet to healthy foods only. Your body would have to adjust, too. One thing you may expect to see as you start adding raw more frequently is loose stools. Just add some plain pumpkin to help settle the tummy.

Abby answered on Jan 19th.

Answers

Marlowe, CGC

There's no reason to be worried. Dogs have a very different digestive system than humans. It's a lot shorter, things that go in come out a lot quicker and that means that there's less time for the things in raw meat that might make us humans sick to actually stick around and do anything bad. Many dogs are happy and healthy being fed raw meat as their only diet.

Just make sure the humans are practicing safe food-handling.

Marlowe, CGC answered on 1/18/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

Shinji

Feeding dogs a completely raw diet is actually much more natural and healthy for them than feeding them kibble. Don't worry.

I wouldn't feed both raw and kibble; I tried this with Shinji and it gave him heinous diarrhea. A couple of bites of raw hamburger every now and then is fine, but if you want to switch to a raw diet, make sure you've done thorough research before starting. There is a very popular topic in the forums for raw diets. You should check it out.

Shinji answered on 1/18/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I'm going to (respectfully) go against the grain here.

I'm not a fan of raw food for dogs. My personal opinion is that thousands of years of domestication and breeding and feeding non-raw diets has greatly changed dogs' digestive systems so that they are not as "iron clad" and hearty as most people think.

Also, raw food isn't always safe for dogs. Bacteria like e-Coli or salmonella can be just as dangerous to a dog as it is to a person. Unfortunately, USDA standards aren't that great when it comes to allowing bacteria into the processing of raw meat and poultry.

I know there are a LOT of people on Dogster who feed raw and I totally respect that they feel this is better for their dogs.

My personal feeling, though, is that I am not in favor of feeding raw as I simply don't believe that the benefits outweigh the risks.

Another side issue is that hamburger meat is very fatty and probably not a great food for dogs, cooked or raw.

Meridian

If you're giving pinches of raw burger as a treat that's fine -- don't worry! Assuming the dogs are normal healthy dogs they should be fine, and raw meat is a healthy snack!

A dog's digestive tract is actually designed to eat raw meat. (Gotta dictionary?) *Morphologically* humans have altered a dog's digestive system, but *physiologically* they're still the same as their living ancestors' the grey wolf. It doesn't matter whether you've got a Maltese or a Mastiff, dogs are designed to eat raw meat. Dogs even have these special enzymes called "lysozymes" in their saliva that kill bacteria. Pretty neat!

It *is* important to note that a dog who's fed a whole diet of raw foods needs some specific things for the diet to be healthy. If raw meat is more than a snack or treat the diet needs to include organs and a source of edible bone.

And finally -- as with any snack -- make sure you're adjusting the day's allotment of food so that you don't accidentally cause your dog to get fat!

Meridian answered on 1/18/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer