is it ok for a female chiwawa to have pug pups

is it possible for a chiwawa to have a safe birth after mateing with a pug

Asked by Member 942644 on Feb 1st 2010 in Chiweenie

Answers

It is most unlikely that she can have the pups without a c-section. You need to check with your vet and make sure they will be available to do the section as soon as she starts to whelp since the size of the pups heads will prevent them from fitting thru her pelvis. IF she continues in labor without this operation, it will kill the babies and most likely her as well! Make sure you have an emergency vet clinic lined up as well as you will not have more than 30 minutes or so to get this section started once she is in labor without risking her rupturing her uterus.
If they were mine and it was still early in her pregnancy I would get a spay/abort rather than risk her life having the pups.

Jet

I don't know, but for the safety of the male, female, and future puppies, I recommend that you not breed because obviously you are only a "backyard breeder". DO NOT BREED!

Jet answered on 2/1/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Ali, gave you some awesome advice.
I would do everything she says.

I am sure you didn't mean this to happen. You can also have a dog spayed right then and there after the c section. Or I would suggest spaying her shortly after the pups are weaned and rehomed.
good luck.

Stella

After the babies are born, mom will benefit greatly from being spayed. There are multiple benefits from getting your dogs fixed.

Stella answered on 2/1/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Angel

I would not recommend it! Pugs are larger than Chihuahuas which will put your Chihuahua at more of a risk of dying, because the puppies will be too large for her to whelp (deliver) on her own and she will need a C-Section to save her life. that is if she can even carry the puppies full term. You don't have any experience and you should not be breeding at all. The most loving thing that you can do for your female, is to have her Spayed! Leave the breeding to the professionals, who are breeding for the right reasons and who know exactly what they are doing!

Angel answered on 2/2/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer