Is it normal for a puppy to be quite round around his belly?

He's a staffy bull terrier so I'm assuming a lot of it is muscle, he's about 10-11 weeks and shooting up through the roof!

We've recently taken him off of Bakers dog food because of how bad it actually is (and i'm horrified that people can feed that crap to their dog once they know whats in it!) and onto James Wellbeloved.

He's normal, then he has like...a very round tummy. Is it just puppy fat? I would hate to start him off as being obese, that would be really bad ownership on my part.

I'd get some pics but he's snoozing happily.

Asked by Member 1000002 on Aug 9th 2010 Tagged food, stomach, puppy, tummy, big in Puppies

Answers

Buckeye

Seeing pictures would be more useful. We cannot judge if your dog is overweight or not. I would ask your vet for more information about the weight of a healthy 10-11 week old Pit Bull puppy. Weigh him, and see if the results are okay. Keeping a puppy at a good weight is important for their health, so I am glad that you are concerned. Also remember that you should be able to feel your dog's ribs, but not see them. Your pup should also have a visible waist viewed from above.

Keep him excersised and do many activities to keep him happy and healthy. Switching from Baker's to James Wellbeloved is a great start. Good luck!

Buckeye answered on 8/9/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Some puppies look very fat after meals. Pepper was one of those. Wow was she greedy!

I was worried she had worms as they can make a puppy look pot bellied.

He should be on heartworm medication as well as flea and tick medications. These prevent internal and external parasites.

If he is already - it's not worms - or shouldn't be.
He may lean out in the next 6 weeks. But then he will have freakishly big feet! BOL!

Louie

My Frenchie's are pretty round at that age but shortly after they begin to shoot up a bit and lean out. I would suspect your staffy to be much the same as they don't have terribly long legs either as adults. What does your breeder say? They may be the best resource as to brand of food and his current weight, if they are a decent breeder. And, in spite of his belly, you still should be able to feel his individual ribs if he's at a proper weight.
Good luck with him!!!

Louie answered on 8/9/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

My weim had a pot belly as a puppy... it was so adorable! Now he is skinny as can be. I wouldn't worry too much about it because he is so young. If he still has it when he hits 6mths then you might have a problem. I bet it will go away in the next few months though.

Izzibelle

A big belly on a puppy is often a sign of roundworms. Has he already been checked for worms? If not, then get him checked out.

Izzibelle answered on 8/11/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Butters

One thing to keep in mind is that sometimes (it happened with my puppy) if there is a worm infestation, their belly will appear bloated. You may need to have him dewormed or at least have a fecal done. With my puppy, she had worms when she came to my home, and after she saw the vet and was dewormed, her belly went down and appeared normal. Just a thought!

Butters answered on 5/13/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Ruby Rag-Doll

Hi,
First I would stick to a premium brand dog food specifically a puppy formula to make sure your puppy is getting all the nutrients his body needs to grow healthy. Second, as other's answered it's impossible to tell if your puppy is over weight without seein a picture however the rule of thumb is to be able to feel their ribs & spine (without using a lot of imagination :)) but not be able to see them, that's a good indicator of what his weight should be, it's a good idea to read up on your breed that way you will know exactly what to expect, check out the AKC website for your parent club which should contain everything you'd ever want to sknow about a Staffy!
As for a very round belly that's a strong indicator of round worms, I would get a stool sample to your vet ASAP to check for internal parasites, just because you don't see them in the stool doesn't mean your puppy doesn't have worms. Good luck with the new pup :) Wags, Suzan

Ruby Rag-Doll answered on 9/26/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Okami Amaterasu

If you are that concerned then you should definitely check just to make sure he doesn't have worms.

But also remember that puppies are supposed to be kinda chubby =). They need to have extra fat as they grow, otherwise their bodies will start to drain the nutrients out of their bones. They will usually lean out as they grow =)

Okami Amaterasu answered on 11/28/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer