Junior

is it normal for a neutered dog to get erections?

i'm embarrassed to ask but my mum hasn't owned dogs before so it's all new to her. I'm a 1 yr old male and have been neutered but I've been getting erections - fairly regularly. I look uncomfortable and arch my back and hump - I'm sure it's all completely normal but as it's new to me and my mum I just don't know what is normal and what isn't. Does it mean my neutering didn't work? I have a 1 yr old brother and he hasn't experienced this problem.

Asked by Junior on Feb 15th 2008 in Spaying & Neutering

Best Answer

erections in males of any species are not always "sex/breeding" related. there are ones any type of excitement and it will happen.think going for a car ride get excited and poof it's there, nervousness, and it happens, sometimes they also seem to get them for no reason at all.

some males are more prone to it and get them on a regular basis, and some may never get one, or you may never see it. all boys are different. yes they are all so simular.

take my 2 boys, Harley and Trapper, Harley is an excitable erection kinda dog, white Trapper I don't think has ever had one in his life. Both are neutered. Best of luck.

answered on Feb 19th.

Answers

Haus R.I.P. my boy I miss you

This is completely normal.It probably is not a full erection or it would be staying out for 15-20 minutes and would be faily large swollen. Most of the time boys just have a little peeker once in a while when they are very relaxed or are stimulated by play or other dogs. So don't worry,BOYS WILL BE BOYS!!!

Haus R.I.P. my boy I miss you answered on 2/15/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Shadow NPC, MDM

I've been fixed for about a year now and I still get full blown erections. Mom called the vet (cause she's never owned a male dog before) and he told her it was normal. I Sstill have the horomones I guess. Hope this puts your mom at ease!

Shadow NPC, MDM answered on 2/16/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer